4000-series Gallery 19

4000 Gallery 01 | 4000 Gallery 02 | 4000 Gallery 03
4000 Gallery 04 | 4000 Gallery 05 | 4000 Gallery 06
4000 Gallery 07 | 4000 Gallery 08 | 4000 Gallery 09
4000 Gallery 10 | 4000 Gallery 11 | 4000 Gallery 12
4000 Gallery 13 | 4000 Gallery 14 | 4000 Gallery 15
4000 Gallery 16 | 4000 Gallery 17 | 4000 Gallery 18
4000 Gallery 19 | 4000 Gallery 20


ROW@EvergreenJct01.jpg (165k)
Two trains of 4000-series cars meet near Evergreen Junction, looking southeast on October 11, 1952. The train on the right, led by a "Baldie" 4000, is a Logan Square train emerging from the Milwaukee-Dearborn Subway. The train on the left may is an equipment transfer; the elevated tracks south of here -- the Paulina Connector -- were no longer used in revenue service at this point. Evergreen Junction, where the old Milwaukee Elevated, the portion later dubbed the Paulina Connector, and the Dearborn Subway, is behind the photographer. 4000s replaced the 6000s on the Milwaukee service around this time. (Photo by George Krambles, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)
oakpark02.jpg (205k)
A westbound Garfield Park train -- a mixed consist of Baldie and Plushie 4000-series cars -- pulls into Oak Park station circa 1954. The platforms at Oak Park are staggered; the station house and inbound platform can be seen across the street in the background. The white sign on the train's front chains reads, "MEETS 4:36 CA&E". After the interurban cut back its trains from the Loop to Forest Park in 1953, many commuters rode the "L" to connect to interurban trains to the western suburbs. The CTA assisted customers by having trains carry signs that noted what CA&E trains they connected with. (Photo by B.L. Stone, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)
crt4255.jpg (169k)
Car 4255 appears to have just recently been delivered, as the paint on its orange and green carbody and black air tank under the floor are still gleaming. Built in 1922, 4255 was part of the first order of the second generation of 4000-series cars from the Cincinnati Car Company. Built of all-steel construction like their predecessors, these later 4000s had canvas-covered wood arch roofs equipped with trolley poles. Purchased by the combined elevated companies acting as the Chicago Elevated Railways, 4255 was originally assigned to the North Side Division (former Northwestern Elevated). (Photo from the CTA Collection)
cta2297_4271.jpg (206k)
Two eras of car design, side-by-side: the 1923-built 4000-series car 4271 sits in Linden Yard next to 1969-vintage 2200-series car 2297 on April 28, 2012. (Photo by Tony Coppoletta)
cta2297_4271a.jpg (210k)
4000-series car 4271, pulled from its home in Linden Shop where it was being stored at the time for public display as part of a celebration for the 100th anniversary of the Linden terminal, provides a juxtaposition to 2200-series car 2297, stored in Linden Yard awaiting scrapping on April 28, 2012. (Photo by Tony Coppoletta)
cta2560_2297_4271.jpg (218k)
A comparison of car styling is provided by this line-up of 2400-series car 2560 on the left, 2200-series car 2297 in the middle, and 4000-series car 4271 on the right on April 28, 2012. The 2400s were mainstays of Purple Line service at the time, while the other two cars were more unusual sights in Linden Yard. (Photo by Tony Coppoletta)

cta4272-Linden100th01.jpg (182k)
The CTA's historic 4000-series cars, 4271-72, are parked on the loop track at Linden Yard on April 28, 2012 for a celebration of the 100th anniversary of "L" service to Wilmette. While the cars didn't operate for the event, they were moved out and parked for the public to walk through and view them. (Photo by Tony Coppoletta)

cta4271-Linden100th01.jpg (161k)
Looking down the aisle through the car's end door from it's mate, the interior of car 4271 is seen on April 28, 2012, brought out for the 100th anniversary of Linden station. (Photo by Tony Coppoletta)

cta4272-Linden100th02.jpg (211k)
Members of the public are lined up to walk through and view the CTA's historic cars on April 28, 2012, at an event to celebrate the centenary of "L" service to Linden. The event was held at the north end of the west parking lot next to the Linden station, where the public could easily walk over to the historic cars parked on the yard's loop track from which access could be gained from a driveway without the public having to actually enter the yard, for safety's sake. (Photo by Tony Coppoletta)

cta4272-Linden100th03.jpg (228k)
While on display for the 100th anniversary of "L" service to Wilmette, the public enjoys the vintage environment of the CTA's historic 4000-series cars, seen onboard car 4272 on April 28, 2012, including the lights with glass shades and reproduction vintage advertising. (Photo by Tony Coppoletta)