4000-series Gallery 18

4000 Gallery 01 | 4000 Gallery 02 | 4000 Gallery 03
4000 Gallery 04 | 4000 Gallery 05 | 4000 Gallery 06
4000 Gallery 07 | 4000 Gallery 08 | 4000 Gallery 09
4000 Gallery 10 | 4000 Gallery 11 | 4000 Gallery 12
4000 Gallery 13 | 4000 Gallery 14 | 4000 Gallery 15
4000 Gallery 16 | 4000 Gallery 17 | 4000 Gallery 18
4000 Gallery 19 | 4000 Gallery 20

ctaS-348b.jpg (88k)
CTA work motor S-348 -- formerly 4000-series passenger car 4324, converted for work service in 1965 -- is seen with a work train at 63rd Street lower yard in June, 1968. (Photo by Jerry Applemen)

ctaS-355b.jpg (85k)
When converted to work car service in December 1965, car 4315 was equipped with a snow plow to help clear the track in winter. Given the service car number S-355, it is seen in Harlem Yard in March, 1966. The plow blade itself is steel edged with two-ply rubber car flooring backed with canvas and fastened with carriage bolts, which makes the edge stiff enough to clean down to the running rails but safe to run along the third rail. (Photo by Jerry Applemen)

cta4437.jpg (90k)
A 2-car 4000-series train made of cars 4437 and 4438 are seen on the tail track at Dempster station during a CERA fantrip on October 25, 1964. (Photo by Jerry Appleman)

cta4145-46.jpg (85k)
Crossing over the Milwaukee Road tracks to Union Station, a 2-car train of 4000-series "baldie" cars 4146 (left) and 4145 -- note the "bald", smooth rolled steel roofs and sealed center side doors -- operates as a Lake "B" run in March, 1964. Note how the old viaduct, now since rebuilt, was essentially a bridge on top of another bridge. The Merchandise Mart, CTA headquarters at the time, is visible in the background. (Photo by Jerry Appleman)

cta4072.jpg (51k)
Cincinnati-built 4000-series "baldie" car 4072 leads a Douglas-Milwaukee "B" train turning around the reverse loop in 54th Yard in April, 1964. The stool visible in the open door of the motorman's position was typical equipment of a train operator, but it wasn't left in the train. Each motorman had to bring his own. Note the metal coil on the front of the train, to the right of the motorman's legs, which transmitted a radio signal and is what sorted the Douglas trains from the Congress trains at Loomis Junction. (Photo by Jerry Appleman)

cta4264.jpg (247k)
This view of the Wellington station northbound platform on August 20, 1970 provides an interesting contrast between two types of "L" trains: the older 4000-series Plushie stopped at the platform and the newer PCC 6000-series train coming up on the express track. Note the old-style signs near the staircase. (Photo by Joe Testagrose)
cta4290a.jpg (161k)
Car 4290 is seen in a barn at the Illinois Railway Museum in August 2010. 4290 is one of several 4000-series cars that IRM has preserved, and is among those that still operates for visitors. (Photo by Steven Takaki)
cta4015.jpg (157k)
4000-series car 4015 is on the rear of a special consistent on the Stock Yards branch, stopped at Halsted station on July 9, 1952. Stock Yards service was typically held down with older wooden cars, but a handful of 4000s were assigned to the shuttle service to provide better equipment to serve attendees of the 1952 Republican National Convention being held a block away from Halsted station at the International Amphitheater. Interestingly, for reasons that are unclear, that there are no red paddles, markers or other safety devices on the rear of 4015 (the back end of the train), which is standard safety procedure for most railroads, including the "L". (Photo by George Krambles, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)
loyola06.jpg (143k)
Looking northwest up the long, curved platform at Loyola station, car 4251 leads a southbound train on April 26, 1942. Note the motorman wearing pinstripe overalls and hat in the motorcab of the 4000-series car in weathered CRT orange and brown livery. The station features an abundance of windbreaks with ad panels on each one. (Photo by B.L. Stone, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)
loyola07.jpg (130k)
A 6-car southbound Evanston Express train passes through the Loyola station, circa 1952-53. The train has a mixed consist of 4000-series cars, with some earlier "Baldie" 4000s with center doors (which appear to have been repainted in the CTA's green and cream) and later "Plushie" 4000s, including the lead car, with trolley poles and still sporting the predecessor CRT's brown and orange paint scheme. The scene looks northwest on Loyola Avenue with the station's south entrance visible below. (Photo from the Scott Greig Collection)