4000-series Gallery 14

4000 Gallery 01 | 4000 Gallery 02 | 4000 Gallery 03
4000 Gallery 04 | 4000 Gallery 05 | 4000 Gallery 06
4000 Gallery 07 | 4000 Gallery 08 | 4000 Gallery 09
4000 Gallery 10 | 4000 Gallery 11 | 4000 Gallery 12
4000 Gallery 13 | 4000 Gallery 14 | 4000 Gallery 15
4000 Gallery 16 | 4000 Gallery 17 | 4000 Gallery 18
4000 Gallery 19 | 4000 Gallery 20

crt4306.jpg (83k)
Car 4306 is on the rear of a northbound Howard Express train at University station on the Jackson Park Branch. Flag holders were added to the rapid transit cars starting in 1929, flags were flown on holidays, a practice the Surface Lines and Chicago Motor Coach also followed. This custom is still observed by Pace, the suburban bus operating division of the RTA. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek collection)

crt4324.jpg (79k)
The 4324 is shown at the 22nd/Mannheim terminal of the Westchester Line on January 15, 1939. The building to the right of the car is the contractor's/developer's office, which was built at the same time as the rapid transit station in 1930. The office was later removed, making this location appear even more desolate. After its passenger-carrying days were over, 4324 was converted to work motor S-348 (in December of 1965). (Photo from the Jeff Obarek collection)

crt4342.jpg (78k)
4000-series unit 4342, shown operating as part of an extra train on the North Shore Line during World War II, was one of 30 plushies equipped with General Electric PC10 control. The other 175 plushies used Westinghouse control equipment. All 30 of the PC10-equipped plushies were assigned to Lake Street service in CRT days until all 4000s were reassigned to the subway 1943. As a "minority" group of cars, the PC10 cars were never favored by the maintenance department, and all of them were retired at one time, without any being converted for work service (except for S-364 [ex-4371], which was put into work service from 1968-72 "accidentally"). There was also one PC10-equipped baldie, the 4084. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek collection)

crt4312.jpg (73k)
Car 4312 is shown in the Laramie Yard of the Garfield Park Line in this undated view. The Metropolitan's own cars used battery control, while the other CRT divisions used the line voltage to supply the control circuits. The 4000s were capable of operating from either supply source, but not both at the same time. So for a 4000 to train with the Met wood cars, there had to be a means of changing between line and battery control. This was done by a manually-thrown changeover switch that a shopman would throw before the car went into service on the Met. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek collection)

crt4383.jpg (81k)
The 4383 was just 'another 4000' at the time of this 1942 photo (the upper sash window flag decals are the clue as to the date), where it is shown heading up a westbound Westchester train. In the CTA era 4383 was selected for a couple of interesting modifications. In 1950 it was one of three 4000s known to have received a built-in dash headlight. In the mid-50s it was one of the plushies that was re-equipped with inside door controls, in an effort to improve the conductor's working conditions. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek collection)

cta4397.jpg (82k)
The 4397 heads an Evanston train near Davis Street in the mid-50s. This pair is interesting in that one car is in the green and cream livery while the other car retains its brown and orange paint. After its passenger-carrying days had ended, 4397 was converted to work motor S-371, part of the final group of seven 4000s converted to work service in April of 1972. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek collection)

crt4082.jpg (78k)
The non-cab corner of car 4082 is presenting itself to the camera on a sunny day the the train heads northbound on a Ravenswood run stopping at a local station on the North Side Main Line. The striking contrast between the green and orange body colors and salmon roof -- the CRT's first paint scheme -- suggests 4082 is fresh from the paint shop. Originally assigned to (and lettered for) the Northwestern Elevated when bought, most cars like 4082 were relettered "Rapid Transit" upon unification of the system, although a few bore "Chicago Elevated" on their letterboard instead. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek collection)

cta4420.jpg (63k)
Car 4420 is shown in the Forest Park turnback of the Lake Street line in this undated view. Transfer of plushies to Lake Street began in the early 50s, and this is one of the units that lost its number 1 end trolley poles, before CTA reversed this decision for the Lake-assigned cars. The 4420 would again lose the number 1 end pole when it was later transferred to Evanston service. The pair was part of the group of 4000s that finished out the revenue service career of this series during 1973. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek collection)

cta4245.jpg (50k)
Despite their lack of trolley poles, "baldie" 4000s were assigned to Lake Street from 1959 to 1964, though they had to be jumpered to at least one "plushie" 4000 for the trip west of Laramie Avenue. Of course, by the time of this photo in August 1964, the point was moot because the Lake Line west of Laramie had been elevated to the C&NW embankment and had third rail running to the terminal. Car 4245 is leading this Lake Street All-Stop train at Ridgeland only two months before the car was scrapped. (Photo by Jerry Appleman)

cta4000s07.jpg (50k)
The 4251-4455 series "plushie" 4000 cars were a mainstay on the Evanston Line for more than 15 years -- assigned from the mid-1950s to 1973 -- residing there longer than on any other line in the Chicago Transit Authority era. Here, a two-car train of 4000s is making its way south on the Evanston Shuttle run, just having left Main station on January 28, 1967. (Photo by Jerry Appleman)

(Thanks to Art Peterson for writing the first eight captions!)