2200-series Gallery 9

2200 Gallery 01 | 2200 Gallery 02 | 2200 Gallery 03
2200 Gallery 04 | 2200 Gallery 05 | 2200 Gallery 06
2200 Gallery 07 | 2200 Gallery 08 | 2200 Gallery 09
2200 Gallery 10 | 2200 Gallery 11 | 2200 Gallery 12
2200 Gallery 13 | 2200 Gallery 14
| 2200 Gallery 15
2200 Gallery 16

cta2319.jpg (158k)
A 4-car charter of 2200-series cars was split to reverse the train on the Dempster turnback track and to photograph them side-by-side on May 1, 2005. Looking south from the pedestrian crossing at Skokie terminal, car 2319 sports a mid-1990s-era roller curtain showing the Evanston Express reading, brought specially by trip organizer Mark Wolodarky for the charter. (Photo by J. Terrell Colson)

cta2319b.jpg (147k)
Car 2319 leads a 4-car charter train crossing Francisco Avenue, looking east on May 1, 2005. The destination sign is correct for the line, but wrong for the year: it is a mid-1990s-era curtain brought and installed especially for the fantrip. The "Ravenswood B" reading comes from a brief era when A/B skip-stop service still existed, but the color name line designations were also in place. (Photo by J. Terrell Colson)

tour03@LaSalle02.jpg (132k)
The tour's charter train of 2200-series cars -- the oldest on the CTA -- has arrived and tour participants are about to board at LaSalle/Congress for the Historic "L" Station Tour on October 26, 2003. The 1951-vintage subway station's inlaid tile station signage is reflecting the headlights of the 1969 Budd-built rail car on its glazed surface. (Photo by Tony Coppoletta)

tour03@California01.jpg (163k)
After dropping off the tour group at California station for the Historic "L" Station Tour, Operator Larry Regalado checks the side of the train as he departs to make sure the doors and platform are clear on October 26, 2003. (Photo by Tony Coppoletta)

tour03@Central02.jpg (175k)
Nearly ready to depart with the last few participants of the Historic "L" Station Tour boarding, the charter train of 2200-series cars is about to depart Central station on the Congress Line on October 26, 2003, which has not seen passenger traffic since 1973 and is little changed from that time. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

cta2305.jpg (222k)
For a few months before the Pink Line was inaugurated -- during beginning in March 2006 and again in June, shortly before the changeover, for the startup and June 25 system pick too effect -- the CTA Training & Instruction Department ran familiarization and qualification trains on the route for "L" operators. Here, a training train trailed by car 2305 is heading south on the Inner Loop after leaving Madison/Wabash on April 5, 2006. Note the "Rail Instruction Train" sign on the back chains. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

cta2274.jpg (179k)
Fresh from out of the shop -- note how clean the wheels and truck assembly are -- 2200-series unit 2273-73 (the former in the foreground) pose on Track A outside of Skokie Shops on April 29, 2006. The Budd cars' rectilinear shape is evident in this three-quarters "builder's view". (Photo by Graham Garfield)

cta2209.jpg (206k)
Car 2209 brings up the rear of a 4-car Pink Line training train stopping at Madison/Wabash on June 4, 2006, three weeks before the route actually began service. By this time, the 44 cars that were to be assigned to the line had begun to have their roller curtains changed, allowing the training trains to run with proper signage. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

cta2219c.jpg (208k)
A 4-car Pink Line training train is lead by Budd car 2219, simulating a stop at Madison/Wabash on June 7, 2006. Note that the proper destination signs have been installed and the marker lights programmed. The markers chosen for the Pink Line -- white-red -- not only combine to make pink but were the Douglas Park branch's original marker lights under the Metropolitan Elevated from when the line began service in 1896 until it was through-routed as part of the West-Northwest Route in 1958, making them a return to the line's heritage. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

cta2208.jpg (225k)
Car 2208 leads a 4-car rush hour Pink Line train, making the turn at Tower 18 from the Inner Loop onto the Lake branch for the trip back to 54th/Cermak on June 30, 2006, five days after the route began service. The last four cars -- 3007-08 -- are wrapped in pink and were one of three 2-car units used for the ceremonial inaugural train for the Pink Line on June 24, 2006. The 2200s' use on the Pink Line marks the cars' first regular use in scheduled service on the Loop since the cars were reassigned off the West-South Route in 1983. (Photo by Graham Garfield)