Wooden Cars Gallery 3

Wooden Cars Gallery 1 | Wooden Cars Gallery 2
Wooden Cars Gallery 3 |
Wooden Cars Gallery 4
Wooden Cars Gallery 5 | Wooden Cars Gallery 6
Wooden Cars Gallery 7 | Wooden Cars Gallery 8
Car 1 at CHM Gallery

ctaSSRT1.jpg (127k)
After an extensive rehab and a period-correct repainting, SSRT car 1 rolls out of Skokie Shops preserved as it appeared just after electrification in 1897. (Collection of Joe Testagrose)

cta1808.jpg (47k)
Chicago Transit Authority car 1808 -- built as trailer 1299 for the Northwestern Elevated by American Car & Foundry in 1907, later rebuilt and motorized by the CER in the company shops in 1913 -- is seen here after retirement at Karsten's Road on the main line at the Illinois Railway Museum in Union, Illinois on May 26, 1968. (Photo by Jerry Appleman)

ctaS-328.jpg (49k)
CTA work car S-328 -- built by American Car & Foundry in 1907 as Northwestern Elevated trailer 1283, motorized and renumbered to 1792 in 1914 by the CER -- was converted for work service and renumbered in 1958. The old wooden car is seen here at Des Plaines Yard at the end of the Congress Line on October 12, 1968. The car is on the remaining stub of the track that was built but never used to reconnect the CTA with the CA&E interurban. (Photo by Jerry Appleman)

crt1754.jpg (84k)
CRT car 1754 was built by the Jewett Car Company in 1906 for the Northwestern Elevated Railroad. The car was taken out of revenue service in 1957 when it became CTA work car S-333. In 1971, the car went to the Illinois Railway Museum, where it is seen in its orange and brown CRT paint scheme on July 4, 2001. (Photo by Mike Farrell)

crt1808.jpg (80k)
Car 1808, one of 20 1907-vintage American Car & Foundry trailers converted to motor cars in 1913 by the Chicago Elevated Railways, went to the Illinois Railway Museum in April 1958 after retirement from the CTA, where it is seen on July 4, 2001. (Photo by Mike Farrell)

SSRTwoods@43rdSt.jpg (79k)
A southbound train on the South Side main line is slowing down while approaching 43rd Street station in early 1907. The line narrows from three tracks (the center express track having just been installed at this time) and two here, just before entering the station. (Photo from the LeRoy Blommaert Collection)

C&OPwoods@lake-paulina.jpg (66k)
This three-car Loop-bound train of a motor car and two trailers has just left Lake Street Transfer and is speeding toward Ashland station on the Lake Street elevated. (Photo by Fred Borchert, from the Robert Gibson Collection)

cta1708.jpg (117k)
Car 1708, built for the Northwestern Elevated in 1903 by the St. Louis Car Company, is operating on the Lake "A" run stopping at Madison/Wells within a few years of the CTA taking over operations. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek Collection)

cta1029.jpg (104k)
Heading southbound on an Evanston Shuttle, car 1029 stops at Dempster circa the early 1950s. Car 1029 has been on the former Northwestern Elevated lines since the beginning: it was in the company's first order of cars in 1898. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek Collection)

cta2739.jpg (93k)
The Metropolitan's wood motors were some of the most long-lived wood cars, not leaving service until the mid-1950s. Gate car 2739, operating at the rear of a six-car train at Polk in the CTA era, was in the first order of Met motor cars purchased in 1894. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek Collection)