Wooden Cars Gallery 7

Wooden Cars Gallery 1 | Wooden Cars Gallery 2
Wooden Cars Gallery 3 | Wooden Cars Gallery 4
Wooden Cars Gallery 5 | Wooden Cars Gallery 6
Wooden Cars Gallery 7 | Wooden Cars Gallery 8
Car 1 at CHM Gallery

loyola05.jpg (162k)
Chicago Rapid Transit car 1001 leads an inbound train stopping at Loyola, probably in the early or mid-1940s. Car 1001 was built as Northwestern Elevated car 1, the North Side elevated's first car, by the Pullman company in 1898. Now in its fifth decade of service, the car is looking tired wearing its faded CRT orange and brown paint scheme. The car would be retired about 10 years later. Loyola station is also showing its age, but is in reasonable good shape. Note the station name painted down the side of the canopy support as an additional method of identification for passengers. (Photo by B.L. Stone, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)

cta1728.jpg (211k)
A two-car Lake Street "A" train is westbound on the at-grade portion of the line along South Blvd. midday on July 15, 1950. The lead unit, car 1728, appears to have recently been repainted compared to its mate trailing behind -- with the exception of a few test cars, CTA kept the wood cars in the CRT's orange and brown until their retirement. Despite being built in 1903 by St. Louis Car for the Northwestern Elevated, the 1700-1734 series cars were loaned to the Chicago & Oak Park Elevated early on and ended up spending most of their lives on the Lake Street Line. Car 1728 was scrapped in May 1954. (Photo by Henry M. Stange, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)

cta325.jpg (215k)
Car 325, a wooden gate car originally built for the South Side Elevated by American Car & Foundry in 1905, is southbound on the portion of the Metropolitan Division's Northwest Branch later known as the Paulina Connector. The one-car train is near Paulina and Fulton, about to traverse the old Met "L" bridge over the Milwaukee Road/North Western tracks. Judging by the license plates on the cars in the foreground, the photo was taken in 1950, around the same time the CTA began equipping the Logan Square-Loop service with brand-new all-metal 6000-series cars. In the early CTA years, the Met Division Northwest Branch had a number of ex-South Side wood cars assigned, with the cars continuing to cover the Humboldt Park shuttle after the Logan Square service was reequipped with PCC 6000s. Car 325 was scrapped in June 1957. (Photo by B.L. Stone, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)

cta2858.jpg (168k)
Car 2858, a 1906 Pullman product built for the Metropolitan West Side Elevated, leads a two-car train of well-worn wood cars heading westbound toward Packingtown. The train is stopped at Exchange station on September 30, 1957, looking east. Car 2858 was among the last of this series of cars to be scrapped, in October 1958. (Photo by George Krambles, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)
exchange02.jpg (149k)
A two-car train of ex-Metropolitan "L" wood cars departs Exchange on its way to Indiana station, looking east on September 16, 1957. The Stock Yards branch made a slight jog to the north just east of Exchange station. The bridge in the background crosses one of the many branches of the Chicago Junction Railroad around the Stock Yards complex. (Photo by George Krambles, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)
cta2918.jpg (193k)
Car 2917 makes up half of this two-car train of wooden ex-Met "L" cars near Armour station on the Stock Yards branch on September 30, 1957. The last wood cars operated on the system were ex-Metropolitan Elevated cars; the SY would close a week after this photo was taken and the Kenwood branch followed a few months later. The cars of the 2858-2927 group, built by Pullman for the Met in 1906-07, featured a steel underframe to prevent the wooden car body from sagging; many Met car series had this feature. This steel underframe insured a long life, and were part of the reason these cars lasted to the end of wood-car service. (Photo by George Krambles, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)
ROW@MarketJct01.jpg (92k)
A single-car Met train turns from the Met main line onto the Loop connector in this overhead view of Market Junction in 1949. (Photo by Stanley Kubrick)
market01.jpg (197k)
Market Junction and the Wells Street Terminal approach trackage are seen looking east from Market Tower in September 1953. CTA car 2925, an ex-Met wood car, leads a westbound Garfield train coming off the Market Street Loop connector trackage onto the Met main line. A westbound CA&E train is coming through the throat of the terminal and is lined to take the outer track (the left-most track in the foreground); this is last month in which the CA&E operated to/from downtown Chicago via the Garfield Park "L". (Photo by William C. Janssen, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)

crt1797.jpg (956k)
Ex-Northwestern Elevated wood car 1797 is seen running under its own power for the first time in decades at the Illinois Railway Museum on June 30, 2012. The car is painted in the Chicago Rapid Transit Company's brown and orange paint scheme, introduced in 1939. Car 1797 wears a variation of the paint scheme (repainted to be true to its original application to the car, using photographs for reference) to fit the car's architecture; some variances may also result from the car possibly being the first car so repainted by CRT, making it a prototype for the design. (Photo by Tim Peters)

crt1268_1797.jpg (1.1MB)
Two wooden "L" cars, both repainted in the CRT's brown and orange paint scheme, are seen side-by-side at the IRM Trolley Pageant on July 7, 2012 -- ex-Lake Street car 1268 on the left and ex-Northwestern car 1797, freshly repainted and recently restored to operable condition, on the right. (Photo by Tim Peters)