6000-series Gallery 1

6000 Gallery 01 | 6000 Gallery 02 | 6000 Gallery 03
6000 Gallery 04 | 6000 Gallery 05 | 6000 Gallery 06
6000 Gallery 07 | 6000 Gallery 08 | 6000 Gallery 09
6000 Gallery 10 | 6000 Gallery 11 | 6000 Gallery 12
6000 Gallery 13 | 6000 Gallery 14 | 6000 Gallery 15
6000 Gallery 16 | 6000 Gallery 17
| 6000 Gallery 18
6000 Gallery 19 | 6000 Gallery 20

cta6001.jpg (126k)
The first four 6000-series cars were delivered in a short-lived variation of the famous Mercury green-Croydon cream-Swamp Holly orange scheme, with the standee window stripe ending at the sides. Here, 6001-6004 are at Clark/Lake on August 15, 1950, shortly after being delivered. (Photo by George Krambles)

cta6130.jpg (228k)
Cars 6129-6130, seen here at the Kimball Yards in 1963, were two of four 6000-series cars delivered with experimental motors and controls. Along with single-unit cars 1-4, they comprised the high-performance PCCs and like 1-4 received the luxury maroon and silver gray scheme in 1960. By late 1963, the cars reverted back to the green-cream-orange scheme seen behind them. (Photo by Charles L. Tauscher)

cta6101@division.jpg (40k)
Car 6101 was newly delivered when it made the VIP preview run of the Dearborn subway on February 23, 1951, shortly before it opened. (Photo from the George Krambles Collection)

cta6000s@54th.jpg (50k)
This 6000-series "L" car travels at grade along the Douglas branch on August 21, 1970. The destination sign identifies it as a Douglas-Milwaukee "B" train. (Photo by Joe Testagrose)

cta2000s02.jpg (112k)
A train of 2000s assigned to the Douglas-Milwaukee "B" stand along a set of 6000s on the Congress-Milwaukee "A" run -- both wearing the Mint Green and Alpine White of the 1960s and 70s -- at the Logan Square terminal on July 20, 1968. (Photo by Doug Grotjahn, Collection of Joe Testagrose)

cta6005.jpg (68k)
Car 6005-6006, assigned to the Logan Square-A run, poses at the Logan Square terminal on September 16, 1950. (Photo from the CERA Collection)

cta6278.jpg (76k)
This is a variant of the bicentennial paint scheme introduced in 1976. Cars 6277-6278, pictured here, were named the "William Ellery" and reentered service January 7, 1976. It bears the sign of the Ravenswood B route. It's pictured here in the yard of the Skokie Shops. (Photo from the CERA Collection)

cta6000scrap.jpg (77k)
Cars 6719-6720, in their Spirit of Chicago paint scheme, sit in the yards at Skokie Shops on January 15, 1999. (Photo by Eric Zabelny)

cta6125end.jpg (44k)
This is a photo of the 6125 end of unit 6125-6126 at the Illinois Railway Museum in the late 1980s. The unique thing about this car, seen in the Mint green and Alpine white scheme, is that it has its original front-end configuration (dual headlights, destination sign above the door), when all but a few were modified between the mid-1950s and 1965 to having a single headlight above the door and the sign in the top of the right window. Except that this not one of the two units (6101-6102, 6059-6060) that are listed as unmodified! Sources indicate that the IRM crews reverted it back to its original configuration after obtaining the car. The headlights and destination signs came from cars 6059-6060 sometime in the mid 80's. IRM plans to eventually repaint the cars to their 1955 livery. (Photo by Michael Roegner)

cta6247.jpg (88k)
Car 6247, in the Alpine white and Mint Green scheme, leads a Howard-Jackson Park train approaching the 13th Street portal on August 23, 1981. (Photo by Leon Kay)