Work Car Gallery 3

Work Car Gallery 1 | Work Car Gallery 2 | Work Car Gallery 3
Work Car Gallery 4 | Work Car Gallery 5 | Work Car Gallery 6
Work Car Gallery 7
| Work Car Gallery 8 | Work Car Gallery 9
Work Car Gallery 10 | Work Car Gallery 11

ctaS-300b.jpg (129k)
Derrick car S-300 was rebuilt circa 1947 by the company shops from South Side Division flat car S-6 to replace the Lake Street Division's original S-300 derrick. S-300 II (as the second derrick was technically known), seen here on July 4, 1971, was still in use a year later but retired by the end of 1975. (Photo by Joe Testagrose)

ctaS-330b.jpg (104k)
Line car S-330, seen passing Bryn Mawr station on October 4, 1972, was created from Northwestern wood car 1755 in April 1956. The car body was built from 1755 and salvaged materials from the Skokie carpenter's shop and the lift platform, which is raised by a hoist, was salvages from a CSL truck. (Photo by Steve Zabel, Collection of Joe Testagrose)

ctaS-328b.jpg (134k)
Work motor S-328 was created from wood motor car 1792 with minimal changes. It was the second CTA work car to bear the number; the first was a flat car, which was never used and retired in 1955. S-328 II is seen here in Skokie Yard on August 20, 1970. It was retired that month -- whether before or after this photo was taken is unclear -- and scrapped. (Photo by Joe Testagrose)

ctaS-332.jpg (118k)
Derrick S-332, seen in Lower 63rd Yard on October 4, 1972, has an unusual history: Wood car 1753 was converted to work motor S-332 in 1958. That car was stripped down to its frame and rebuilt as an unpowered derrick by 1965, christened S-332 II. It was equipped with 6000-series couplers in 1975. (Photo by Steve Zabel, Collection of Joe Testagrose)

ctaS-333.jpg (139k)
Work motor S-333, formally Northwestern Elevated car 1754, is in Skokie Yard on August 20, 1970. Retired the same month of the photo, the car was preserved by the Illinois Railway Museum as CRT car 1754, thanks to minimal modifications while in work service. (Photo by Joe Testagrose)

ctaS-337.jpg (127k)
S-337, which was a reincarnation of CTA car 1812 (which itself was a motor-conversion of Northwestern/CRT trailer 1273), is in Skokie Yard, among a pile of scrap, on October 21, 1968. One month later, the unit was scrapped. (Photo by Doug Grotjahn, Collection of Joe Testagrose)

ctaS-338.jpg (98k)
Yet another work motor recycled from a 1950 CTA wood motor converted from a Northwestern Elevated trailer (in this case, car 1813 created from 1274), S-338 is in 63rd Street Yard on July 3, 1966. The car was scrapped two years later, in June 1968. (Collection of Joe Testagrose)

ctaS-341.jpg (128k)
Tool car S-341 was recommissioned from wood motor 1750 in 1958 and outfitted with drawers and storage space. It is seen in Skokie Yard on August 20, 1970, the same month the car was retired. It was later scrapped. (Photo by Joe Testagrose)

ctaS-343c.jpg (130k)
Work locomotive S-343 is in Lower 63rd Yard on October 4, 1972, with the Chicago Skyway in the background. (Photo by Steve Zabel, Collection of Joe Testagrose)

ctaS-345.jpg (138k)
Work motor S-345 was created from car 1790 largely by covering its side windows with plywood, painting it yellow, and assigning it a new number. It is in Skokie Yard on August 20, 1970 next to 6000-series unit 6099, which gained a large hole in its side from an accident at Howard earlier that month. S-345 was retired the same month as well. (Photo by Joe Testagrose)