Chicago "L".org, the internet's largest resource for
information on Chicago's rapid transit system!
Today in "L" history...
In honor of the 125th anniversary of the start of "L" service this year, we present these events that occured on this date, September 19:
- 1896: Lake Street Elevated resumed use of electric cars on all trains, after brief pause in conversion from stem to electric power; permanently removed steam locomotives from service.
- 1974: First section of cab signals activated on the North Side 'L', southbound from Thorndale to Argyle.
- 2004: Rebuilt Paulina Connector placed in service, along with interlockings at Paulina Jct. and Harrison Jct.
Latest Update: August 31, 2017
- Washington/Wabash station profile updated with new info.
- Quincy station profile updated with new info.
- Garfield Green Line station profile updated with new info.
- When Chicago's Yellow Line was the future of urban transportation [