Chicago "L".org, the internet's largest resource for
information on Chicago's rapid transit system!
Today in "L" history...
In honor of the 125th anniversary of the start of "L" service this year, we present these events that occured on this date, June 22:
- 1958: Congress Line opened. Congress, Douglas and Milwaukee routes through-routed as the West-Northwest Route.
- 1997: Library-State/Van Buren station opened.
- 1997: Permanent Cicero/Lake station house opened, temporary entrance at Kilpatrick converted to exit-only.
- 1997: Began one-person train operation (OPTO) on the Green and Purple lines.
- 1997: AFC fare collection equipment activated at Green and Orange line and Loop stations.
Latest Update: June 6, 2017
- Damen/Lake station profile updated with new info and 1 new photo.
- Washington/Wabash station profile updated with new info and 13 new photos.
- State/Lake station profile updated with new info and 9 new photos.
- 47th Green Line station profile updated with new info and 3 new photos.
- Eight photos added of the 5000-series Cubs World Series wrapped cars -- 4 photos added to 5000-series Gallery 14, and 4 added to new Gallery 15.
- Man Charged With Firing Gun At Red Line Subway Stop [June 19: CBS Chicago]
- Charges pending in CTA Red Line shooting [June 17: Chicago Tribune]
- Suspect in custody after shooting at Division Red Line station [June 17: ABC Chicago]
- Police Track Stolen Phone, Nab Thieves At CTA Grand Station [June 16: DNAinfo Chicago]
- CTA's 125-Year-Old Garfield Green Stationhouse to Become Washington Park Neighborhood Community Showcase and Small Business Incubator [June 14: CTA press release]
- University of Chicago to renovate, reopen historic CTA Green Line station [June 14: UChicago News]
- Oldest 'L' Station To Be Rented To Theaster Gates, U. of C. For Arts Block [June 14: DNAinfo Chicago]
- Blue Line To O'Hare Slowed For Suspicious Package, Creating Big Delays [June 14: DNAinfo Chicago]
- City releases Vision Zero plan aimed at preventing roadway deaths, injuries [June 12: Chicago Tribune]
- 300 intersections, 25 CTA stations to get safety improvements [June 12: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Chicago youth jobs report highlights need for better public transit [June 12: Chicago Sun-Times]
- The CTA Made 'Then And Now' Videos Of Its Stations And Trains [June 9: DNAinfo Chicago]
- CTA Moves Forward on Historic Red and Purple Modernization Program Phase One [June 9: CTA press release]
- CTA Red, Purple Lines Moving Forward With Renovation Project [June 9: DNAinfo Chicago]
- West Side fire stops CTA Pink Line trains for an hour [June 9: Chicago Tribune]
- Postal Worker Tackles Phone Thief On CTA, Holds Him For Police: Witness [June 9: DNAinfo Chicago]
- Mother shot by paintball gun while waiting for Red Line [June 9: WGN Chicago]
- Chicago-L.org is not responsible for broken
links, removed pages, or other sites'