Chicago "L".org, the internet's largest resource for
information on Chicago's rapid transit system!
Today in "L" history...
In honor of the 125th anniversary of the start of "L" service this year, we present these events that occured on this date, December 16:
- 1907: Douglas Park branch extended from 46th (Kenton) to 48th (Cicero) via ground-level trackage.
- 1996: New station house and elevators at Central/Lake placed in service; temporary entrance at Parkside closed permanently.
- 1996: New station house and elevators at Kedzie/Lake placed in service; temporary agents booth closed.
Latest Update: November 20, 2017
- Wilson station profile updated with 2 new photos.
- Thorndale station profile updated with expanded info about its establishment and 1 new photo of the original, temporary station.
- State/Lake station profile updated with new info about the planned new station.
- Randolph/Wabash station profile updated with new info about its demolition.
- Leland Interlocking profile updated with new info about its removal.
- Howard Yard profile updated with new info about its renovation and expansion circa 1990.
- Some CTA workers get free parking in paid Blue Line lot [December 15: ABC Chicago]
- CTA proposes to raise fares in 2018 [December 15: The DePaulia]
- CTA is offering free rides (again) on New Year's Eve [December 14: Time Out Chicago]
- RTA Approves Fare Hikes At CTA, Metra, Pace [December 14: CBS Chicago]
- RTA approves fare hikes for CTA, Metra, Pace [December 14: ABC Chicago]
- Chicago Transit Board Approves 2018 CTA Operating, Capital Budgets [December 13: CTA press release]
- CTA OKs 25-cent fare hikes as watchdog group gives thumbs down to budget [December 13: Chicago Tribune]
- CTA approves 25 cent hike in fares, first increase in 9 years [December 13: Chicago Sun-Times]
- CTA Board OKs Fare Hike For 2018 [December 13: CBS Chicago]
- CTA Board Approves First Fare Hike in Nearly a Decade [December 13: NBC Chicago]
- CTA votes to increase bus, train fares for first time in 9 years [December 13: ABC Chicago]
- Morning Commute Feeling More Crowded? Blue Line Sees Explosive Growth, Data Show [December 13: Chicago Magazine]
- 'Track conditions' shut down Blue Line trains for an hour [December 13: Chicago Tribune]
- Suicide along the el [December 13: Chicago Reader]
- Protesters speak out against proposed CTA fare hikes [December 12: WGN Chicago]
- Angry CTA riders voice their concerns over potential fare hike [December 12: Fox Chicago]
- Chicago Transit Authority updating Ventra transit payment card [December 12: Chicago Business Journal]
- Police: Man accused of stealing iPhone on Pink Line [December 12: Chicago Tribune]
- Man charged with stealing woman's iPhone on Pink Line [December 12: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Police: Man hit, killed by Orange Line train in McKinley Park [December 12: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Police: Man Hit, Killed by CTA Orange Line Train [December 12: NBC Chicago]
- Give The Gift Of Chicago: A Holiday Gift Guide For The Chi-Obsessed [December 11: WBEZ Chicago]
- CPD increases patrols around CTA, Metra after New York explosion [December 11: Chicago Sun-Times]
- CTA Unveils New Look for Ventra Cards, Launches Educational Campaign on Card Replacement for Expiring Ventra Cards [December 11: CTA press release]
- Some Ventra Cards Set To Expire At End Of December [December 11: CBS Chicago]
- What You Need to Know: First Round of Ventra Cards Set to Expire [December 11: NBC Chicago]
- Here's what to do if your CTA Ventra card is expiring [December 11: ABC Chicago]
- New year, new Ventra cards [December 11: Chicago Tribune]
- Non-Profit's Goal To Strengthen Racial Equity With Transit-Oriented Development [December 8: CBS Chicago]
- Where the L am I? CTA left riders stranded in rail yards [December 8: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Cops release photos of suspect in CTA Blue Line sexual abuse incident [December 8: Chicago Tribune]
- Police release surveillance images of suspect in Blue Line groping [December 8: ABC Chicago]
- Normal Red Line service resumes after Loop derailment [December 8: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Train derails in State Street subway, no injuries reported [December 7: Chicago Tribune]
- Chicago Subway Train Derails, No Injuries Reported [December 7: CBS Chicago]
- Train Derails Near Lake Street Stop, Red Line Rerouted: CTA [December 7: NBC Chicago]
- CTA: Southbound Red Line trains temporarily rerouted after derailment [December 7: ABC Chicago]
- Woman robbed, sexually abused at Blue Line station on West Side: Cops [December 7: Chicago Tribune]
- CTA Moves Forward on Transformational Red and Purple Modernization Program (RPM) By Selecting Short List of Qualified Contracting Teams [December 7: CTA press release]
- Man falls on tracks at South Side Red Line station, critically injured [December 6: Chicago Sun-Times]
- CTA raises fares for 2018, cites state budget cuts [December 4: Columbia Chronicle]
- Chicago-L.org is not responsible for broken
links, removed pages, or other sites'