Chicago "L".org, the internet's largest resource for
information on Chicago's rapid transit system!
Today in "L" history...
In honor of the 125th anniversary of the start of "L" service this year, we present these events that occured on this date, August 22:
- 1956: Major fire near Packers station severely damages structure, suspended service to Packers station. Operated alternate trains west of Exchange to Swift and to Armour until normal service resumed on 4/8/57.
Latest Update: June 6, 2017
- Damen/Lake station profile updated with new info and 1 new photo.
- Washington/Wabash station profile updated with new info and 13 new photos.
- State/Lake station profile updated with new info and 9 new photos.
- 47th Green Line station profile updated with new info and 3 new photos.
- Eight photos added of the 5000-series Cubs World Series wrapped cars -- 4 photos added to 5000-series Gallery 14, and 4 added to new Gallery 15.
- Futuristic Washington-Wabash 'L' Stop To Open Aug. 31 [August 22: DNAinfo Chicago]
- Cubs Crowds Ruining Your Commute? New CTA Alerts Will Warn (And Reward) You [August 22: DNAinfo Chicago]
- Man found dead on Brown Line tracks at Addison [August 22: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Witness describes shooting on Loop CTA train: 'I saw his right arm go up and saw a muzzle flash' [August 18: Chicago Tribune]
- Red Line shooting: 'I was 6 feet away from the guy who got shot' [August 18: Chicago Sun-Times]
- CPD Revises Narrative Of Red Line Shooting [August 18: CBS Chicago]
- Body that slowed CTA trains for hours ID'd as 41-year-old Niles man [August 18: Chicago Sun-Times]
- 'You're fearing for your life': Passenger recalls frenzied moments during CTA subway shooting [August 17: Chicago Tribune]
- Man, 23, shot on Red Line train at Jackson Station in Loop [August 17: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Gunman Shoots Into Red Line Train; Man Injured [August 17: CBS Chicago]
- 'We Hit the Deck': Targeted Shooting in Crowded Loop Subway Leaves Man Wounded [August 17: NBC Chicago]
- 1 shot at CTA Red Line station in Loop [August 17: ABC Chicago]
- Man Shot On Red Line At Jackson After Fight In Downtown Park, Witness Says [August 17: DNAinfo Chicago]
- Headed Home? CTA Can Let You Know When the Ballgame May Affect Your Commute [August17: CTA press release]
- CTA launches program to reduce crowding on Cubs game nights [August 17: Chicago Tribune]
- Uber, Lyft to refund customers following CTA chaos [August 17: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Uber, Lyft Offer Refunds For Surge Pricing During CTA Shutdown [August 17: CBS Chicago]
- Ride-Share Services Offer Refunds to Passengers After CTA Accident Caused Rates to Soar [August 17: NBC Chicago]
- Uber, Lyft refunding riders for surge pricing during CTA emergency [August 17: ABC Chicago]
- Uber And Lyft Giving Refunds For Surge Pricing During CTA Stoppage [August 17: DNAinfo Chicago]
- What's That Building: A High Traffic CTA Stop Leaves Commuters Guessing [August 17: WBEZ Chicago]
- CTA trains running again, three hours after man jumps into path of train at Fullerton [August 15: Chicago Tribune]
- Red, Brown lines resume; 3-hour delay caused by body on tracks [August 15: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Normal Service Resumes On Red, Brown, Purple Lines After Body Found On Tracks [August 15: CBS Chicago]
- Officials: Man Found Dead on CTA Tracks at Fullerton [August: 15 NBC Chicago]
- Brown, Red And Purple Lines Are Back Running After Morning Shutdown [August 15: DNAinfo Chicago]
- Man's body found on CTA tracks near Fullerton; rideshare prices surge after trains halted [August 15: ABC Chicago]
- City Says Ride-Share Companies 'Took Advantage' Of CTA Meltdown With Hikes [August 15: DNAinfo Chicago]
- Uber, Lyft Prices Surge After CTA Service Halts Near Fullerton [August 15: CBS Chicago]
- Ride-Share Prices Soar After CTA Trains Halted [August: 15 NBC Chicago]
- City working on Ventra-Divvy integration [August 14: Chicago Sun-Times]
- TSA cautions train systems on new terror claim [August 14: ABC Chicago]
- Man fatally struck by CTA train [August 13: Chicago Tribune]
- Police: Person fatally struck by Orange Line train [August 13: ABC Chicago]
- Ventra App Surpasses 2 Million Downloads [August 11: CTA press release]
- Ventra App Exceeds 2 Million Downloads In Less Than 2 Years [August 11: CBS Chicago]
- Madison to close this weekend in Loop as CTA construction continues [August 10: Fox Chicago]
- Sheridan 'L' Stop Assault Charges Announced Against Edgewater Man [August 10: DNAinfo Chicago]
- Kennedy lanes re-open after man threatens to jump from Addison overpass [August 9: Chicago Tribune]
- Blue Line trains running again after man walks on tracks on North Side [August 9: Chicago Sun-Times]
- Blue Line Trains Resume Service After Man Walks on Tracks on North Side [August 9: NBC Chicago]
- 2 injured when car crashes into Pink Line station on Southwest Side [August 9: Chicago Sun-Times]
- 2 Injured When Car Crashes into Pink Line Station [August 9: NBC Chicago]
- Car crashes into CTA Pink Line station in North Lawndale [August 9: ABC Chicago]
- Mayor Emanuel, CTA to Offer Students Free CTA Rides on the First Day of School [August 9: CTA press release]
- CTA to offer free rides for students, parents on first day of school [August 9: Chicago Sun-Times]
- CTA To Again Provide Free Rides On First Day Of School; Kills 11/Lincoln Bus Extension [August 9: CBS Chicago]
- CTA Offering CPS Students Free Back-to-School Rides [August 9: WTTW Chicago]
- Free CTA Train, Bus Rides To Be Given On Sept. 5 For The 1st Day Of School [August: 9 DNAinfo Chicago]
- Development Near Kimball, Kedzie Brown Line Stations: Weigh In At Meetings [August: 9 DNAinfo Chicago]
- Chicago-L.org is not responsible for broken
links, removed pages, or other sites'