Oakley (2300W/200N)
Oakley Boulevard and Lake Street, Near West Side

Service Notes:

Lake Street Division

Quick Facts:

Address: TBD
Established: circa 1893-94
Original Line: Lake Street Elevated Railroad
Previous Names: none
Skip-Stop Type: n/a
Rebuilt: n/a
Status: Demolished


Oakley Boulevard station was built in 1893 for the Lake Street Elevated Railroad. The station was not part of the Lake Street's original plans, with the stop added after the rest of the line was already under construction. Construction of the station was approved not long before the line was to open, so the station was not completed and activated until some months after the line's November 6, 1893 opening.

The station was closed in 1948 when the CTA revamped service on the Lake Street Line -- the first of a series of line-by-line service overhauls -- by closing 10 little-used stations and implementing A/B skip-stop service to speed up trains on the route. The station, along with Morgan, Racine, Damen, Campbell, Sacramento, and Kostner, was demolished in early 1949. Prior to the start of wrecking work, all usable equipment, such as newer lumber, doors, and newer railings were removed for reuse elsewhere. Platform girders from the dismantled stations were reused to lengthen platforms at other "L" stations.


This Chicago-L.org article is a stub. It will be expanded in the future as resources allow.