17th junction and tower, looking south on May 26, 2003. The tower dates from 1943 but the junction was built in 1969. For a larger view, click here. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

17th Junction
17th Street and State Street, Near South Side

Service Notes:

Services:

Orange Line: Midway

Green Line: Lake-Ashland-East 63rd

Quick Facts:

Established: October 17, 1943 (tower), September 28, 1969 (junction)
Original Line: North-South Route, West-South Route
Rebuilt: 1993
Status: In Use

 

Profile:

17th Tower was placed in service in October 1943 to control the interlocking at the connection between the State Street Subway and the South Side Elevated.

After all North-South service was rerouted via the State Street Subway in 1949 there was little need for a manned tower at 17th Street, since all trains to and from the South Side went into the subway rather than onto the Loop Elevated. North Shore Line interurban trains still used the old South Side Elevated between Tower 12 and Roosevelt Road, but not south of Roosevelt. Therefore, over time, coverage at 17th Tower was stripped away. On July 3, 1955 attended operation of 17th Tower was reduced to morning and evening rush hours Monday through Friday only. A few weeks later, on July 25, 1955, all attended operation of 17th Tower was eliminated. The interlocking plant was left in service, though unstaffed, for nearly another decade. The interlocking at 17th Street was removed from service on April 28, 1964, with the switches were converted to hand-throw operation. Back then, the CTA had a history of reusing interlocking machines, rebuilding and moving them frequently, and the relays, racks, and other equipment from the plant was more than likely moved and reused at another location.

17th Tower gained a new use when the Dan Ryan Line was built in the late 1960s. The Dan Ryan Line connected to the South Side Elevated at 17th Street, creating a new junction south of the old tower. The junction was grade-separated, with a flyover for the northbound Dan Ryan track so that it would not have to foul north- or southbound North-South Route trains. The new junction was arranged so that West-South Route (Lake-Dan Ryan) trains stayed on the outside tracks to connect to the Loop Elevated while North-South Route trains stayed in the middle and descended down into the subway. Therefore, no switching actually had to take place during regularly-scheduled service and 17th Tower did not need to be manned. Still, switches were installed to allow trains to switch tracks and 17th Tower was modified to control the new 17th Junction when necessary.

17th Tower gained new importance when the Orange Line was built. Connecting to the Loop via the old Dan Ryan connector track at 17th Junction, the new line meant that now trains from the Loop on the same track did have to be sorted southbound at the junction. Still, it was desirable not to have to man the tower at all times, so an automated interlocking was devised. The Orange Line trains carry transponders, which emit a radio signal identifying them. A transponder reader is located south of Roosevelt station and let's 17th Junction know what type of train is coming. If no transponder is detected, then the switches are set for the default routing, which is for the Green Line. If a transponder is detected, the route is set for the Orange Line. The 17th Junction interlocking plant was replaced during summer 1993 and placed in service on September 13, 1993.

17th Junction received some modest work while the Green Line was closed for rehabilitation in 1994-96, placed back in service on February 2, 1996.

 


17thJct02.jpg (182k)
17th Junction, looking south on December 14, 2002. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

17thJct03.jpg (239k)
17th Junction, looking north on June 19, 2006. (Photo by William Davidson)

ROW@17th01.jpg (229k)
17th Junction, looking south from the subway incline on April 12, 2006. (Photo by William Davidson)