Wallace (4000S/600W)
Wallace Street and 40th Street, Canaryville (New City)

Service Notes:

Stock Yards Line

Quick Facts:

Address: TBD
Established: April 8, 1908
Original Line: South Side Elevated Railroad, Stock Yards branch
Previous Names: none
Skip-Stop Type: n/a
Rebuilt: n/a
Status: Demolished


Many of the stations on the Stock Yards branch -- and three of the four in the yard itself -- were named not for streets but for the meat packing companies whose plants they were near and served. Wallace -- located outside of the yards themselves, a few blocks east -- was an exception, named for Wallace Street, a north-south thoroughfare.

Wallace was closed a few years earlier than the rest of the Stock Yards branch, shuttered on May 3, 1952. The rest of the Stock Yards branch closed in 1957.


This Chicago-L.org article is a stub. It will be expanded in the future as resources allow.