California (2800W/1600N)
California Avenue and North Avenue, West Town

Service Notes:

Humboldt Park Line

Quick Facts:

Address: TBD
Established: July 29, 1895
Original Line: Metropolitan West Side Elevated, Humboldt Park branch
Previous Names: none
Skip-Stop Type: n/a
Rebuilt: n/a
Status: Demolished


In 1895, the Metropolitan West Side Elevated Railroad completed its branch of the Northwest branch to Humboldt Park. This line, terminating at Lawndale Avenue, left the Logan Square line just after the Robey (Damen) stop and went due west just north of North Avenue, passing just north of scenic Humboldt Park.

The station house was typical of Met designs on the Northwest and Garfield Park branches. The stations were designed by the engineering staff of the Metropolitan company. Constructed of red pressed brick with stone sills and foundations, their vernacular style might best be described as Queen Anne-influenced with some Romanesque features. The station's original design was highlighted by the semicircular bay/portico, a lattice pattern in the brick cornice and extensive terra cotta work including the word "entrance" above one door in the portico and "exit" above the other (although there is nothing to force ingress from one and egress from the other).

The station had dual side platforms, with canopies and railings typical of all Met stations: Designed into the railings were larger cast iron square plates with a stylized diamond design. The stairs and platforms were constructed of wood on a steel structure. Each platform had a short canopy in the center of the platform, covering the stairs and a small waiting area. The canopy frame was iron, with arched latticed supports and bracketed rafters, and hipped roofs of corrugated tin.

The CTA® abandoned the Humboldt Park branch on May 4, 1952, citing it as hopelessly unprofitable. 



This Chicago-L.org article is a stub. It will be expanded in the future as resources allow.