Humboldt Park (3000W/1600N)
Humboldt Blvd. and North Avenue, Humboldt Park

Service Notes:

Humboldt Park Line

Quick Facts:

Address: 1613 N. Humboldt Blvd.
Established: November 11, 1902
Original Line: Metropolitan West Side Elevated, Humboldt Park branch
Previous Names: none
Skip-Stop Type: n/a
Rebuilt: n/a
Status: Demolished


In 1895, the Metropolitan West Side Elevated Railroad completed its branch of the Northwest branch to Humboldt Park. This line, terminating at Lawndale Avenue, left the Logan Square line just after the Robey (Damen) stop and went due west just north of North Avenue, passing just north of scenic Humboldt Park.

The Humboldt Park station was added after the Humboldt Park branch opened. Originally, there were no stations between California (2800W) and Kedzie (3200W). However, residents along Humboldt Park Boulevard (3000W) complained that the nearest stations were too far away -- two blocks in either direction -- and campaigned for an intermediate stop to be added. In 1902, the Metropolitan Elevated acquiesced.

The station house's design was similar to other stations built around the same time on the Douglas Park branch of the Met rather than the other 1895-vintage stations on the Humboldt Park branch. The building, executed in brown brick and tan rusticated stone with wooden doors and window frames, had an eclectic mix of influences and styles, many of which were purely vernacular. The use of dark brick masonry, heavy, rough-cut stone in the sills and quoins, and the decorative brickwork and terra cotta along the cornice all suggest Queen Anne design with some influence of the Romanesque Revival style. The station was generally square except for a backslapped bay in front and was one story tall.

The station had dual side platforms, with canopies and railings typical of all Met stations: Designed into the railings were larger cast iron square plates with a stylized diamond design. The stairs and platforms were constructed of wood on a steel structure. Each platform had a short canopy in the center of the platform, covering the stairs and a small waiting area. The canopy frame was iron, with arched latticed supports and bracketed rafters, and hipped roofs of corrugated tin.

The CTA abandoned the Humboldt Park branch on May 4, 1952, citing it as hopelessly unprofitable.



This Chicago-L.org article is a stub. It will be expanded in the future as resources allow.