.

Harrison (10200W/600S)
Harrison Street near Bellwood Avenue, City of Bellwood

Service Notes:

Westchester Line

Quick Facts:

Address: TBD
Established: October 1, 1926
Original Line: Metropolitan Division, Westchester branch
Previous Names: n/a
Skip-Stop Type: n/a
Rebuilt: n/a
Status: Demolished

History:

This small station was built on the rural Westchester branch of the Metropolitan "L", a line constructed primarily to help sell real estate that belonged to associates of CA&E president Thomas Conway.

Harrison station was originally at-grade, with a station house fronting onto Harrison Street (little more than a dirt thoroughfare) and a simple platform for boarding and alighting. The station house was a largely vernacular design with strong influences from the Craftsman styles. The building had stucco exterior walls with wide, overhanging eaves supported by heavy wood brackets. Its low massing, banded casement windows, and horizontal lines gave it a vaguely Prairie School feel. The station had some similarities to the local stations along the Niles Center branch, although the materials were different.

The station continued in use until 1951 when the Westchester branch ceased operating due to service revisions in Garfield Park operations that saw the line terminated at Desplaines Avenue. Westchester branch service was replaced with the CTA's #17 Westchester bus, which stops near the former location of the station house. The station was subsequently demolished.

 

 

This Chicago-L.org article is a stub. It will be expanded in the future as resources allow.