The maintenance shop building towers above the rest of the Logan Square terminal in this 1908 view. Several Met cars parked in the yard are visible on the left. For a larger view, click here. (Photo from the Leroy Blommaert Collection)

 

Logan Square Yard & Shops
Kedzie Boulevard and Linden Place, Logan Square

Service Notes:

Located:

West-Northwest Route, Milwaukee branch

Quick Facts:

Address: TBD
Established: 1895
Shop Area: unknown
Yard Area: unknown
Rebuilt: 1901
Status: Demolished

The interior of the newly remodeled inspection house at Logan Square is seen looking east in the early 1950s. The remodeling was likely at least partly connected to the assignment of the first generation of the new, modern 6000-series cars, several of which are seen here. For a larger view, click here. (CTA photo)

The Logan Square station served as the terminal of the Northwest branch of the Metropolitan Elevated (and successor Logan Square/Milwaukee branch of the CRT and CTA) for 75 years. The original complex included a double-track, two platform station, a 14 car inspection shop built of corrugated iron and a storage yard that could hold 66 cars.

The original shop building was destroyed in a fire that consumed it along with part of the station and yard on September 2, 1901. Soon after, a more substantial brick maintenance shop was constructed. This shop building was used until the terminal was closed in 1970.

By 1911, the yard had been expanded to a capacity of approximately 100 cars. The shop had four tracks, three of which could accommodate two cars each and the northernmost of which could only accommodate one car. This yard and shop configuration remained the same same for 35 years, into the CTA era.

This aerial view shows the Logan Square yard and terminal as it appeared in 1968, looking northwest. Note that construction on the subway extension is visible on the right. For a larger view, click here. (CTA photo)

The tracks inside and leading up to the shop were changed circa 1950. The number of tracks was reduced from four to three. All three tracks inside the shop could accommodate two cars. It is possible that this reconfiguration was connected to the assignment of the CTA's first 6000-series all-electric PCC cars to the line, which would've benefited from an updated inspection and maintenance facility to handle the more modern equipment. In 1953, the terminal had a capacity of 102 cars, including all yard, shop, and platform tracks. By 1956, this had increased to 106 cars. There do not appear to have been any substantive changed to the tracks configuration; there may have been some modest track extensions and switch replacements that resulted in certain tracks' capacity rating increasing. The terminal's capacity remained at 106 cars through 1965.

A fire at Logan Square terminal in April 1953 damaged several cars. 4000-series cars 4044 and 4144 were scrapped as a result of their damage. The body of car 4111 was severely damaged but its electrical equipment survived, was salvaged, and placed in trailer car 4005, which was renumbered 4456 -- the last 4000-series car "built", so to speak.

On May 30, 1966, a new all-electric interlocking was placed in service at Logan Square tower, which controlled access in and out of the yard and terminal tracks. Use of the old mechanical interlocking plant was discontinued and use of the new electric interlocking plant began on August 23, 1966. Five days later, the hours of attended operation at Logan Square tower was reduced to Monday-Friday daytime only.

Circa 1966, Track #2E was disconnected from the ladder track and instead connected at its north end to Track #1E, reducing the tracks' capacity by three and two cars, respectively, and the terminal's total capacity down to 101 cars. On July 1, 1968, yard tracks #1S and #2S, which ran along the eastern edge of the yard, were removed from service to allow for construction of the track connections to the Milwaukee-Kimball Subway as part of the new Jefferson Park extension, reducing the yard capacity by 18 cars. At Desplaines Yard, new yard tracks #1W and #2W on the old CA&E right-of-way were placed in service to compensate for loss of capacity at Logan Square yard.

The Logan Square elevated station, yard, and shop were closed on February 1, 1970. Effective that day, all West-Northwest Route trains were extended via the new Kennedy Extension to Jefferson Park terminal. Dismantling of the yard began almost immediately and was complete within a year.

A pair of later-generation 6000-series cars is seen parked on Track 1N in front of the the Logan Square Shop, viewed from the south platform looking west on March 12, 1964. The shop building was over 60 years old, but the trackside bays had been reconfigured only about 14 years earlier. For a larger view, click here. (CTA photo)



logan_postcard.jpg (256k)
The Logan Square Yard is seen looking southeast in this early postcard view, with wood "L" cars lined up on the yard's storage tracks. The ends of the terminal platforms are visible at the bottom. Based on the angle of the view, the image was probably taken from inside the inspection shop. (Postcard from the Graham Garfield Collection)
crt2711.jpg (198k)
Car 2711, seen in Logan Square Yard circa the mid-1920s-1930s, had long a intresting life. Built in 1894 by Barney & Smith as car 711, the car was part of the 55-car order for the Metroplitan West Side Elevated's first motor cars, which were also the first electrically controlled and driven "L" cars in Chicago. Damaged by fire, the car was rebuilt in 1904 by American Car & Foundry, during which its design was modified with closed vestibules, air-powered doors, feasibly side frames, and the "monitor-style" roof common to many Met motor cars. Car 2711 was the last of this first group of Met motor car to be retired, serving well into the CTA. It was scrapped in February 1957. (Photo from the CTA Collection)

crt1233.jpg (89k)
This undated photo shows CRT car 1233 in the yard at Logan Square. Several North Side cars were used on the Metropolitan Division during the late 20s and early 30s. For instance, a company photo taken in December 1928 caught a 1001-series motor and another 1200-series trailer on the Humboldt Park line, while car 1240 was destroyed in the 1930 fire at 56th Yard on the Douglas branch. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek Collection)

logan03.jpg (217k)
A fire at Logan Square terminal in April 1953 damaged the tracks leading to the inspection shop as well as several cars. Two "Baldie" 4000-series cars -- most likely cars 4044 and 4144 -- that were caught in the fire are seen, with their carbodies buckled and warped due to the severe heat of the fire. (CTA photo)
ctaS-300.jpg (47k)
S-300 started life as South Side flat car S-6, built by the company shops in 1898. Between 1941 and 1947, the CRT rebuilt the car with a motorized hand derrick and renamed it S-300 (replacing Lake Street derrick car S-300, scrapped at the same time). Seen here in the Logan Square Yard in May 1964, the car was still in use by the CTA in 1972, but may have been retired shortly after. (Photo by Jerry Appleman)

cta2149.jpg (49k)
Cars 2149-2150, a 1964 product of Pullman-Standard, are signed for the Congress-Milwaukee "A" run as they sit in front of the inspection shop at Logan Square in April 1967. (Photo by Jerry Appleman)

cta6511b.jpg (109k)
The cars in the 6511-6720 series were a fixture on the West-Northwest Route from 1962 until the mid-80s. In this undated view at Logan Square Yard, several of these cars are shown, including a few still in green, cream and orange paint. Cars in this older scheme operated into the era of the Kennedy Extension. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek collection)

cta6679.jpg (127k)
Car 6679 (foreground) and its mate (6680) pose at the entrance to the Logan Square Shops on July 20, 1968, displaying the signs for the Douglas-Milwaukee "B" route. Only two years later, the Logan Square yard and shops would be demolished after the opening of the Kennedy Extension. (Photo by Doug Grotjahn, Collection of Joe Testagrose)

logan05.jpg (164k)
With the Kennedy Extension via the new Milwaukee-Kimball Subway open since February 1, CTA and the contractors are moving quickly to dismantle the old Logan Square Yard, seen looking northwest in this view taken from the rear of a southbound train on March 14, 1970. The alignment connecting the Milwaukee Elevated to the Milwaukee-Kimball Subway is temporary to skirt the yard structure; once the yard is cleared, the permanent alignment would be built to remove the kinks in the tracks. (Photo by Art Peterson, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)

logan06.jpg (204k)
Demolition of the old Logan Square terminal and yard is nearly complete in this May 18, 1970 view looking west from the ramp down to the new Milwaukee-Kimball Subway. The elevated structure is almost completely removed, and the brick inspection shop is about the only thing left standing. (Photo by George Krambles, courtesy of the Krambles-Peterson Archive)