Ashland (Englewood) branch
w/Former Transfer Station
Click on a station name to see that
station's profile (where available)
- Hours of Operation: 4am-1am,
Mon-Fri; 5:15am-1am, Sat; 5:50am-1am, Sun
Length of Route: 3.0 miles
Number of Stations: 2 stations, plus 1 abandoned
Car Types Assigned: 5000-series
Assignment sheet for
latest car assignments)
When the South Side Rapid Transit was awarded their franchise for
an extension to Jackson Park in the early 1890s, two branches were
also approved. One was to leave the line between 55th and 59th Street
and head in a generally easterly direction, terminating south of 63rd
Street between Wentworth and Wallace. With the South Side Elevated's
successful outlook in the early 1900s, they decided to exercise this
clause and construct their first branch.
The Englewood Elevated Railroad Company was incorporated in early
1903 to construct the branch and on March 16th, they were granted a
franchise to build a main line (the Englewood branch) and a short
branch (the Normal Park branch). The ordinance outlined a route
basically the same as the original clause in the 1890s franchise, but
extended the main line from a between Wallace and Wentworth westward
between 60th and 67th streets to a terminal between Center (Racine)
and Ashland avenues. The Normal Park branch was to leave the main
line near Wentworth and continue south to between 68th and 72nd
The company lost no time in exercising its franchise and
construction began immediately. By 1905 the first half mile of the
branch was completed and a shuttle was instituted between the first
station at State Street and 58th Street on the main line, where
passengers changed for Loop or Jackson Park trains. Segments of the
branch opened as they were completed and service on the shuttle was
extended west to Wentworth station on December 10, 1895 and to
Princeton station on January 11, 1906. At this point, a 226-day steel
workers' strike crippled work on the line and little progress was
made. The next extension did not open until November 3rd, when
service reached Harvard Avenue at 63rd Street. At this point, express
trains through to the Loop were adding during rush hours, although
the 58th Street shuttles still prevailed in the off-peak. Workers
continued to complete the branch and just a few months later service
was extended to Halsted Street, the location of an important South
Side shopping district, for some Christmas Eve shoppers on December
24th, bringing with it the activation of Parnell station as well.
Center (later Racine) opened on February 4, 1907, followed by the
terminal at Loomis on July 13th. The Loomis terminal included an
elevated car storage yard and small maintenance shop. The shuttle
trains continued to operate from Loomis to 58th Street in the
off-peak until 1911, after which all trains continued to the Loop.
The short Normal Park branch, less than a mile long, opened on May
25, 1907 and departed from the Englewood branch west of Harvard
- March 16, 1903 - City grants a 35-year franchise to the
Englewood Elevated Railroad Company (who was controlled by the
South Side Elevated) to build a main line that would leave the
South Side between 55th and 60th Streets, turn west to between
Wentworth and Wallace Avenues, turn south to a point between 61st
and 67th Avenues, then turn south and terminate between Racine and
Ashland Avenues [the Englewood branch]; as well as a
branch line leaving the above and paralleling Wentworth Avenue to
a point between 68th and 72nd Streets [the Normal Park
- November 3, 1905 - The first phase of the Englewood
branch opens as far as State Street. A shuttle car in placed in
operation that connects to the main line at 58th Street, where
passengers can transfer to Loop-Jackson Park trains.
- December 10, 1905 - Englewood branch service is
extended to Wentworth Avenue.
- January 11, 1906 - The Englewood shuttle is extended to
Princeton Avenue station
- November 3, 1906 - The next section of the Englewood
branch, a two block stretch to Harvard Avenue at 63rd Street,
finally opens, having been the victim of a 228-day steel workers'
strike. At this time, express service to the Loop is instituted
during rush hours. The shuttle to 58th Street remains in operation
at all other times.
- December 24, 1906 - The Englewood branch is extended to
Halsted Street, also activating the Parnell Street station.
- February 25, 1907 - Englewood service is extended west
to Center [Racine] Avenue.
- July 13, 1907 - The Englewood branch completed to its
terminal at Loomis Boulevard. The terminal also includes a coach
yard and light maintenance facility.
- July 31, 1949 - The CTA institutes its massive
North-South service revision. Howard-Englewood route is created.
A/B skip stop service is instituted on the Howard, Englewood,
Jackson Park and Ravenswood routes. Low-use stations are closed,
including Pershing, Princeton and Parnell.
- May 6, 1969 - The Englewood branch is extended to a new
terminal at Ashland Avenue, 1/4 mile west of previous terminal at
Loomis Blvd., which is demolished.
- September 2, 1973 - State is closed in a service
revision to close a budget gap.
- February 9, 1992 - Harvard and Wentworth are closed in
a service revision to close a budget gap.
- January 9, 1994 - The Lake-Englewood-Jackson Park Green
Line closes for an extensive renovation project lasting more than
2 years. A great deal of controversy raged during the two year
rehab, including debates over station closings, retention of
nighttime "owl" service and the date of reopening.
- May 12, 1996 - The Green Line reopens after a
renovation project lasting more than 2 years. Owl service is
retained, but Racine/63 is closed. Englewood branch is officially
renamed the Ashland branch.
- April 27, 1998 - The CTA institutes some of the largest
service cuts in its history. Under the Booz-Allen Hamilton Service
Plan. Owl Service is cut on the Green Line.
This Chicago-L.org article is a
stub. It will be expanded in the future as