Wrightwood (2600N/1000W)
Wrightwood Street, Lincoln Avenue, and Sheffield Avenue, Lincoln Park

Service Notes:

North Side Division

Quick Facts:

Address: TBD
Established: May 31, 1900
Original Line: Northwestern Elevated Railroad
Previous Names: none
Skip-Stop Type: n/a
Rebuilt: n/a
Status: Demolished


Wrightwood station was built as part of the original main line of the Northwestern Elevated in 1900. The only line in Chicago to do so, the Northwestern "L" built four tracks north of Chicago Avenue to allow for both local and express service. Some stations, like Wrightwood, were built with platforms on the outside tracks (for locals only), but some had two island platforms to facilitate both express and local trains.

The original brick station house was similar to those still at Chicago, Sedgwick, Armitage and Fullerton. Their architecture was standard for brick ground-level station houses built on what was the Northwestern mainline. They were designed by William Gibb and constructed entirely of brick with terra-cotta trim and stone. The bold modeling of the details is characteristic of Italianate work of the late 19th century, though these station might better be classified as Classical Revival.

Wrightwood survived the CTA's 1947 takeover, but was one of 23 stations closed in their North-South Route service revision August 1, 1949. The concept of "local" stations, of which Wrightwood's low usage was only suited, was not a part of the A/B skip stop concept and the station was closed.



This Chicago-L.org article is a stub. It will be expanded in the future as resources allow.