Sedgwick station is seen looking west on November 12, 2007, the day the main entrance reopened following renovation. The historic station house was restored, while an expansion was added to the back (behind the metal screens) and small plazas flank both sides of the Victorian headhouse. For a larger view, click here. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

Sedgwick (1600N/400W)
Sedgwick Street and North Avenue, Old Town (Near North Side)

Service Notes:

Brown Line: Ravenswood

Purple Line: Evanston Express

Accessible Station

Quick Facts:

Address:

1536 N. Sedgwick Street (main entrance)

1541 N. Hudson Avenue (Hudson emergency exit)

Established: May 31, 1900
Original Line: Northwestern Elevated Railroad
Previous Names: none

Skip-Stop Type:

Station

Rebuilt: 2006-07
Status: In Use

History:

The path of the initial Northwestern Elevated Railroad line, from Lake and Wells Streets to Broadway and Wilson on the what was then the far north side, was cleared in 1895 and erection of the steel was begun January 23, 1896. Several financial difficulties delayed construction several times, a few times necessitating extensions of the company's franchise. All-night shifts were eventually required to complete the structure on Christmas Day 1899, days before their deadline to begin service. But Sedgwick and most of the other stations were incomplete December 31 and, after some finagling, another extension was obtained. Sedgwick was completed in early 1900.

A view of the Sedgwick station house in 1973. Except for the metal mesh over the windows, the station stands in excellent condition in this photo. For a larger view, click here. (Photo from the CTA Collection)

Sedgwick station opened on May 31, 1900 as part of the original stretch of the Northwestern Elevated. The headhouse was one of several stations built from a design by William Gibb on what is now the Brown Line. Architecturally, it is similar to those still at Chicago, Armitage, Belmont, Fullerton, and Diversey. Constructed of brick with terra-cotta trim, the Classical Revival design was inspired by the work of the great 16th century Italian Renaissance architect Andrea Palladio1. The bold modeling of the details, especially the columns and segmented arched windows, is characteristic of Italianate work of the late 19th century. The building, which is square in floor plan, features unglazed terra cotta pilasters with composite capitals on either side of the front center entrance and on either end of the front facade. The front elevation has a heavy cornice with egg and dart molding and other classical ornamentation.

The interior features plaster walls with extensive wood detailing in the door and window frames, ceiling moldings, and tongue-in groove chair rail paneling. Nearly all of this detail remains today. Perhaps most importantly, the station still features its original 1900-built ticket agent's booth. Sedgwick is one of only two original Northwestern Elevated agent's booths left; the other is at Diversey, and Sedgwick's is in the better shape of the two.

Wooden stairs on steel supports with decorative metal railings led from the Sedgwick station house to the dual island platforms. Although the platforms essentially function today as side platforms, thanks to the outside two of the four tracks through the station being abandoned, under the Northwestern Elevated's configuration Sedgwick was an express/local station where both classes of trains stopped and passengers could make cross-platform transfers between the two. The stopping of express trains at Sedgwick ended up being rather short-lived, suspended in September 1900 just three months after service began. Thereafter, the station essentially functioned as a local station although it was configured to be an express/local. After the State Street Subway opened in 1943 and the route configurations were overhauled in 1949, Sedgwick became a "B" station under the skip-stop express scheme on the Ravenswood Line. The use of two of the four tracks was greatly reduced in 1963 when the North Shore Line interurban, which used the "L" to access the Loop, abandoned service. The outer two tracks were completely removed from service in 1976, although their deteriorated remnants remain in place and serve as a reminder of Sedgwick's original island platform configuration.

Sedgwick has one of only two remaining original Northwestern Elevated agent's booths, seen here on July 2, 2002. The large rectangular panel below the windows, partially covered by the farecard reader, was originally an open space through which the original turnstiles rotated. For a larger view, click here. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

Sedgwick's island wood-decked platforms are covered in the center by two peaked-roof canopies of steel supports with a gently-curved bracket and intricate latticework, covered by a hipped corrugated metal roof. Originally, these covered about half the platform length, but the platforms were subsequently lengthened multiple times to allow longer trains to berth. The original railings, which Sedgwick only had around the stairs and at the platforms' ends since there never side railings due to the island configuration, consisted of tubular railings and posts with panels of decorative, vaguely diamond shaped metalwork inside.

With the closure of Halsted and Larrabee/Ogden stations to the north and Schiller and Division to the south in 1949, Sedgwick became the only station in a roughly 2-mile stretch on the Ravenswood Line.

Sedgwick station was briefly closed on January 13, 1973, one of a handful of station and auxiliary entrance closures that day made in an effort to reduce budget shortfalls. The closure of Sedgwick left a 2.1-mile gap between stations on the Ravenswood Line. The January closures were just the first of several in 1973 as part of an effort to offset what was projected to be a $42.1 million deficit. The CTA also raised fares 5¢, discontinued or reduced the hours of several bus routes, and closed other stations and station entrances later that year. Sedgwick, however, received a reprieve: the station reopened at 5am on Monday, April 23, 1973, just three months after it closed. Although the reasons for its reopening were not explicit, they likely had to do with a combination of political and/or community pressure; a reduction in CTA's operating costs in March 1973 thanks to increased efficiencies; and/or the provision of $12.6 million in emergency state funds from the Illinois Department of Transportation and $6.3 million from the City of Chicago and Cook County in April 1973 to be used as an operating subsidy through June 30 of that year. The station was given a fresh coat of paint before reopening.

Sedgwick station's station house later had its brick exterior painted, probably in the late 1980s or early 1990s. The brick portions of the exterior were panted white, but the terra cotta cornice, pilasters, capitals, and moldings were left unpainted. The station also had maroon and mustard-colored faux-historic signs installed over the front entrance.

 

Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project

This aerial artist's rendering shows the platform-level design for the renovated Sedgwick station. The original, historic canopies will remain in place and be refurbished, with elevators added next to them. The out-of-service outside tracks will be removed as part of the project. For a larger view, click here. (Image provided courtesy of the Chicago Transit Authority)

By 2004, ridership had exploded on the Brown Line -- an 79% increase since 1979 and a 27% increase since 1998 -- such that during peak periods many trains were at crush-loaded, resulting in commuters left standing on platforms unable to board the loaded trains, sometimes waiting as one or two trains passed before they were physically able to board. The problem in large part was that all Brown Line stations could only accommodate six-car trains (with the exception of Merchandise Mart, Chicago, Fullerton and Belmont, which could already hold eight-car trains), which, along with the limitations of the cab signal system, limited the line's capacity.

As a result, the CTA decided to plan for the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project, the largest capital improvement project undertaken by the CTA at the time (surpassing even the Douglas Renovation Project, which was the largest up to that point). The main objectives of the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project were to expand the line's overall ridership capacity by lengthening station platforms to accommodate eight rather than six-car trains, rehabilitate rail infrastructure and stations, provide for station enhancements to meet the accessibility requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and upgrade or replace traction power, signal and communication equipment. By far, the largest part of the Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project were the station renovations. Of the Brown Line's 19 stations, only one (Merchandise Mart) was not touched at all due to its modern construction (1988) and ability to berth eight-car trains.

On April 13, 2004, the CTA announced that it had officially received a Full Funding Grant Agreement (FFGA) from the Federal Transit Administration (FTA). However, in May 2004, CTA received construction bids for the project that substantially exceeded the budget. As such, the Chicago Transit Board voted on June 9, 2004 to reorganize the project into several discrete pieces to help attract more competitive construction bids. Station renovation work was modified and grouped into five separate packages according to location to help reduce the overall cost of station construction. Sedgwick station was grouped with Armitage and Chicago in a bid package, all of which were designed by the same consultant, Gonzalez Hasbrouck Architects. Station designs were also revised to reduce costs. Most changes concentrated on non-customer areas such as reducing the size of janitor closets, employee restrooms, electrical rooms and communication rooms. Other areas that were studied for cost reduction were standardizing common station elements, the use of less expensive materials, canopy designs and coverage, and temporary station closures to provide contractors better access to the sites.

The Armitage/Sedgwick/Chicago contract was the second of the reorganized station packages to be bid out. At the September 14, 2005 board meeting, a $45.5 million contract for the renovation of these stations was awarded to FHP Tectonics Corporation.

 

Station Design

This artist's rendering shows the street-level design for the renovated Sedgwick station. The historic station house will be renovated with an addition built behind it. The historic platform canopy and Brown Line-standard railings and lights are visible at platform level above. For a larger view, click here. (Image provided courtesy of the Chicago Transit Authority)

The 1900-built historic station house was preserved and restored in the new facility, but also expanded with a new addition built behind it. The new expanded station entrance has far more circulation space with more turnstiles and farecard vending machines. The historic station house had its exterior restored, with the white paint removed from the brickwork and the masonry and terra cotta restored. The interior was gutted, but was rebuilt with new plaster walls and wood moldings and wainscoting that replicated the original designs. The original, historic ticket agent's booth was donated to the Illinois Railway Museum, with a new stainless steel booth standard for the new Brown Line stations installed in its place. The booth features stainless steel lower panels and roof and glass panels around the sides for a high level of visibility. The primary change to the historic station house, as seen from the street, is the addition of two new doorways on the side elevations of the building where there had originally been windows. The additional doors were added to increase the ingress and egress capacity of the station house, which would get crowded during high-traffic rush periods.

The addition on the rear of the station house was connected by removing the rear wall of the historic structure. The addition is not a solid structure, however. The front elevations of the expansion, which flank the historic station house and project to the sides from the rear of the building, are tall screens consisting of metal grilles rather than solid walls. The rear expansion features a solid back wall fronting the various ancillary equipment rooms behind it and decorated with a mosaic mural, concrete floors, and a suspended metal ceiling with recessed lighting. New, wider stairs and elevators take customers to the boarding platforms.

The dual platforms were renovated with new decking, railings, lighting, signage, and other fixtures. The elevator towers, which rise up on the outside of the platforms, adjacent to the west ends of the historic canopies, are clad in black glazed tile within the spaces framed by the steel skeleton, which remains visible in the corners and crossbeams. The black tile allows the elevator towers to be less noticeable and fade into the background rather than contrasting with the historic canopies.

The existing original, historic canopies were retained and refurbished, stripped of decades of paint, repainted dark brown, and topped with new corrugated metal hipped roofs. The platforms, which had been designed as island platforms but functioned as side platforms since 1976, were widened to cover the structure formerly occupied by the long-defunct outer tracks and had back railings added, formally making them side platforms. The new railings are a standard design for the rebuilt Brown Line elevated stations, with thick tubular top and bottom horizontal members with rectangular panels with a grid pattern cut out. The railings and light poles, as well as the other new metalwork, are hot-dipped galvanized. The light poles are integrated into the railing posts. Canopies over the new stairways feature enclosures of galvanized steel frames, panels matching the design of the platform railing grilles, and flat roofs. The platforms are finished with windbreaks integrated into the railing system, with the glass panels protected by metal grilles matching the railings and station name signs integrated into the back panel, benches with sandboxes integrated into them, A/V signs suspended over the platforms on long horizontal arms, and Transit Information panels. Emergency exits are provided at the west end of the platforms at Hudson Avenue.

Other improvements included new signage; electrical, communications, and HVAC equipment; new customer heaters on the platforms; and a new public announcement system.

 

Station Renovation Work

During station construction, Armitage, Sedgwick, and Chicago remained open on weekdays, but experienced up to six weekend closures during the construction period when all three stations were closed at the same time to allow construction crews unlimited access to station platforms.

Work at Sedgwick station contract began in autumn 2006. Steel for the eastward platform extensions was installed in September, with the installation of wooden decking on the east platform extensions beginning the week of October 15, 2006. On both the new platform extensions and the existing sections, new temporary wooden back-railings were installed, functionally arranging the platforms as side platforms rather than island platforms. Temporary lighting was also installed. The east platform extensions were placed in service on Thursday, October 26, 2006, resulting in the berthing locations being moved east. The east extensions and resulting berthing relocation allowed the far west end of the platforms to be removed from service and work to begin on extending the platforms at that end of the station. Steel for the west platform extensions was installed during November 2006.

New steel stringers and joists have been laid westward from the ends of the old platforms at Sedgwick station as part of their extension to accommodate 8-car trains. Seen looking east on November 12, 2006, the new, wider platform occupy space formerly used by the line's now-deactivated third and fourth tracks. For a larger view, click here. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

During the first weekend of December 2006, the first south-end "linecut" -- times when Brown Line service was cut back from its normal route, terminating at the south end temporarily at Fullerton station, with service between Fullerton and the Loop provided by free shuttle buses and Red Line trains -- took place, allowing for the weekend closure provided for in the Armitage/Sedgwick/Chicago station contract. The weekend closure allowed crews to perform construction that can only be done when trains are not running. During the linecut, crews at Sedgwick installed decking on the west platform extensions and re-decked part of the old northbound platform, as well as performing other work.

During January 2007, crews began work on the Hudson auxiliary exit at the west end of the station. Tasks included setting foundations and installation of steel at platform level to support the exit stairways. The pre-assembled stairs from each platform to Hudson Avenue were installed on January 22, 2007. Although Hudson would ultimately be an emergency exit from the station, it served as a temporary entrance to allow the main entrance at Sedgwick to close for renovation. To accommodate this function, a temporary wooden station house was constructed at street level rather than the permanent exit barriers. The temporary station house was a simple wood frame structure with plywood walls and a flat, slanted roof. Inside, a Customer Assistant booth was built-in in the northeast corner of the interior as a room with windows and a door to interact with customers.

A simple wood-frame structure, the temporary Hudson entrance to Sedgwick station is seen looking northeast on January 29, 2007. Although its covering is temporary, the stairs at Hudson are permanent and would be converted to emergency exists after the temporary entrance closed. For a larger view, click here. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

Effective Monday, January 29, 2007 at 5am, the entrance and station house at Sedgwick closed for renovation and the Hudson temporary entrance came into use. The temporary entrance was one block west of Sedgwick. The farecard vending machines and turnstiles were relocated to Hudson, installed the day before the temporary entrance opened. Customers entered the temporary station house, and after paying a fare proceeded up to the platform using the Hudson emergency exit stairs. Coincident with the move to the Hudson temporary entrance, the west platform extensions came into service and the berthings were accordingly moved to the west ends of the platforms. This both allowed for a more convenient boarding and alighting location in relation to the Hudson stairs and allowed the east 100-150 feet of the platforms to be removed from service for additional work. Because of a curve in the tracks and platforms at the west end of the station, a CCTV camera and monitor were installed on the southbound platform to assist the train operator with sidedoor operation. Initially, a platforman was assigned to check the doors and provide a signal to the operator that it was safe to close his doors until the camera and monitor were brought on-line in March 2007.

After the berthings were moved west, the old portions of the platforms east of the existing canopies were demolished. New steel platform stringers and joists were installed in this area, over Sedgwick Street, during late February 2007. This was followed by the installation of wood decking on this section and blue tactile edging on all new sections of platform during March.

During the last week of March, crews began installing the new, permanent steel railings and light poles behind the temporary wooden back railings. Installation began at the west end of the southbound platform and progressed from there. Railing and light standard installation continued throughout spring 2007.

This view looking west at Sedgwick on May 11, 2007, following the second south end linecut. The old stairs have been removed and the platform decking under the historic canopies has just been replaced, completing the re-decking work. The elevator tower structures, seen behind the canopies, were also installed that weekend. For a larger view, click here. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

During April 2007, work also progressed on the renovation of the Sedgwick station house. That month, the rear elevation of the historic station house was removed, opening it up for the new expansion to be to built to the rear.

A second linecut was performed at the south end of the Brown Line during the first weekend of May 2007. However, unlike the first south-end linecut in December 2006, trains were allowed to service Armitage station, terminating at the southbound platform, changing ends, and then returning back to Kimball. During the linecut, the old stairs from each platform to the Sedgwick station house were removed, including all associated railings and supports. Platform decking under the canopies were removed, new joists laid on the existing steel stingers, and new wood decking laid on top. This completed the installation of new decking for the entire length of the platform, now with no obstructions down the middle (except the center posts of the existing canopy), and completed the platform to 8-car length. Also installed were additional railings and new windbreaks. The steel frames for the elevator towers from street level to both platforms were also erected.

Following the second linecut, work began on installing masonry on the new elevator towers. Beginning in June and continuing into July and August, the steel for the rear station house addition was erected and masonry installed on the new structure.

As was the case at Hudson, the new stairs from the platforms to the Sedgwick station house were pre-assembled and lifted into place in one piece. The stair to the northbound platform was lifted into place on June 28, 2007, followed by the southbound stairs the next day. The stair lifts required Sedgwick Street to be closed and a crane placed in the roadway with a tall boom to lift the long stair sections up and carefully lower them into the narrow spaces between the platforms and adjacent buildings.

The historic Sedgwick station house is seen looking west on August 12, 2007 under renovation. The station house has been gutted and will be rebuilt, while the exterior masonry is being restored Visible on either side of the historic building is the steel frame of the expansion built to the sides and rear of the Victorian headhouse. For a larger view, click here. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

Following the installation of the stairs from the platforms to the Sedgwick station house, crews erected the canopies over the stairways during July. During weekend single-track operations (when one of the two platforms could be closed) and late nights after the end of service, crews stripped, primed, and repainted the steel supports and framework of the historic platform canopies. The corrugated metal canopy roofing was replaced with new metal of the same design and left as unpainted metal. After the canopy support steel was repainted, new electrical conduits and lighting was installed under the canopy roof. The canopy refurbishment work was completed in late summer 2007.

During late summer, work accelerated on the main station house. Steel erection continued at the main station house into August. Restoration of the exterior masonry on the historic station house began in July and continued into late summer. By mid-August, work on the historic station house progressed to the interior, where new plaster walls and ceiling were installed. In late August, crews began installing some of the finishes in the historic station house, including newly-milled woodwork -- flooring, window and doorway moldings, and wainscoting -- as well as conduit and other systems and fixtures. Work on the interior details continued into September and October. During late September, the new Customer Assistant booth was installed in the historic station house.

Contractor crews spent September through November finishing the details of the new facility. During late summer and autumn, raised concrete planters faced with green and white tile were installed outside the station, on either side of the historic station house, in front of the expanded rear addition to the building. A tall screens of galvanized steel panels were installed behind the planters to create a barrier between the street and the expanded paid area. Other items installed during this period included a compass rose on the sidewalk in front of the station entrance, bike racks in the small plazas on either side of the station house, and new signage throughout the station facility.

With construction nearly complete at Sedgwick station, the main station entrance reopened on Monday, November 12, 2007. Upon the renovated main entrance reopening, the elevators came into use and Sedgwick became the 78th station to be accessible to all customers. At the same time, the temporary entrance located on Hudson was closed and was subsequently dismantled. The stairways down to Hudson Avenue were converted into emergency exits.

Modest work continued at Sedgwick station after the reopening, as the contractor completed the conversion of Hudson to an emergency exit and various other punchlist work. Permanent roofing was installed on the Hudson exit stairs during late January and early February 2008. The Hudson emergency exit stairs went into service on March 6, 2009. The temporary platform extensions at the east ends of both platforms were demolished in mid-March 2008.

Interestingly, the wood flooring in the historic station house, installed new as part of the renovation project, was removed and replaced with granite flooring during Spring 2008. The wood flooring was deemed to be wearing badly and too slippery when wet. Replacing of the flooring was done in sections while keeping the station house open for traffic during a two-week period in early- through mid-April 2008.

The Brown Line Capacity Expansion Project Full Funding Grant Agreement with the federal government requires that the CTA complete the entire project by the end of 2009.

 

 

A northbound Purple Line Express train pulls away as passengers wait on the southbound platform at Sedgwick on the morning of November 12, 2007, the first day the main entrance reopened. The refurbished historic canopies cover the center of the widened, renovated platforms which are now ADA-accessible thanks to the elevators visible in the background. For a larger view, click here. (Photo by Graham Garfield)


Old Sedgwick (1900-2006) | New Sedgwick (2006-present)


Old Sedgwick station

sedgwickPlans.jpg (204k)
Masonry details of a typical Gibb station on the Ravenswood Line, what is referred to in the drawing as a "Type A" depot. (Drawing from the CTA Collection)

cta1813.jpg (87k)
Originally built as Northwestern Elevated coach (no control equipment) 274 by ACF in 1907, this car became CER 1274 at the consolidation in 1913. The 1274, along with six other ACF trailers was selected by CTA for conversion to a motor car. This view, taken on 1 May 1955 shows the 1813 operating with 1815 in a fantrip train westbound at Sedgwick station. (Photo from the Jeff Obarek Collection)

sedgwickSign.jpg (96k)
Signage on the Sedgwick platform, circa 1960. The sign below the navy blue and white enamel station sign appears to be an early version of A/B station signage. (Photo from North Shore Line, from Sunday River Productions)

cta53e.jpg (117k)
Car 53 arrives at Sedgwick for a photo opportunity on the CERA fan trip of May 28, 1973. (Photo by Art Peterson, Collection of Joe Testagrose)

sedgwick02.jpg (137k)
Sedgwick station, looking northwest in 1985. The station had still been little altered since its construction at this point, and what small changes had been made dated from decades before. (Photo by Olga Stefanos)

SedgwickSign02.jpg (76k)
Sedgwick's KDR-type northbound symbol sign is seen here. (Sign from the Andrew Stiffler Collection)

sedgwick03.jpg (159k)
The first four 3200-series cars (3201-3204) entered service on the Ravenswood Line in late February 1992 for a six-month test period. The cars were rotated to nearly all lines on the system to test the new cars in all operating conditions before full-scale production began. Car 3201 leads the four-car train through Sedgwick station bearing a black "Ravenswood All-Stop" destination sign. The first four cars were delivered with old-style A/B route signs. Later cars bore the transitional line color-coded A/B signs and all were later retrofit with the current signs after A/B service ended in 1995. (Photo by Bruce Moffat)

sedgwick04.jpg (157k)
The dual island platforms at Sedgwick, looking west on July 2, 2002. These platforms, little changed since this station opened 99 years before, were made to service both sets of tracks, as Sedgwick was designed to be an express/local station. Now, the outside tracks are out of service and the island platforms act as side platforms for Brown/Purple Express Line service. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick05.jpg (102k)
This April 2002 photo shows how the CTA painted the brick exterior of the Sedgwick station house. The terra cotta trim and window moldings were left au natural, but the main brick body of the station house is now white, with other trim painted brown. The doors are unpainted wood. The 'TA made an old-fashioned mustard and maroon-colored sign for over the front entrance, though it has no historical significance (authentic or recreated) whatsoever. (Photo by Andrew Stiffler)

sedgwick06.jpg (57k)
The original agent's booth is, however, still present in the Sedgwick station house, with its divided panels below the windows and dentils and cornice above. Although it no longer function's as a ticket agent's booth with the advent of the electronic farecard, it still has it's money slots and speaker in the window. For the most part, it is still largely intact. But, the farecard reader at the bottom shows that it has succumbed to at least some modern modifications. (Photo by Andrew Stiffler)

sedgwick07.jpg (77k)
A view of the interior of Sedgwick station in April 2002. It shows that the interior still has good historic integrity, but is a mix of the old (such as the window moldings and agent's booth) and the new (like the fluorescent lights, farecard turnstiles, fare control gate, and bars on the windows). (Photo by Andrew Stiffler)

sedgwick10.jpg (172k)
The Sedgwick station house, looking southwest on July 2, 2002. The columns and segmental arched windows were typical of late Italianate architecture and of Gibb's "L" station designs. The station exterior's brick portions were painted white circa 1990. (Photo by Graham Garfield)


New Sedgwick station

sedgwick12.jpg (196k)
Ironworkers remove sections of steel I-beam behind the historic southbound Sedgwick platform, in the former location of the southbound local track, on October 23, 2006. The spaces opened up by the removal of the crossbeams will later be occupied by the new elevator tower and stairs from the expanded station house to the renovated, wider platform. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick.hudson01.jpg (160k)
The wooden frame of the temporary Hudson station house is seen under construction on December 24, 2006. The westward extension of the platforms are also seen overhead. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick14.jpg (157k)
The west expansion of the Sedgwick platforms are seen looking west on January 22, 2007, nearly ready for use. The covered landings of the stairs down to Hudson Avenue are under construction, seen on the left and right. The entrance at Hudson would be temporary, but the stairs and their canopy were built to be permanent, ultimately to be used as emergency exits. The wooden railings are temporary until the permanent steel railings were installed. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick.hudson02.jpg (177k)
The pre-assembled staircase at Hudson Avenue to the northbound platform is being lifted into place in this view looking east on January 22, 2007. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick15.jpg (197k)
The interior of the historic Sedgwick station house is seen looking east on January 28, 2007, the day before its closure for renovation. The turnstiles have already been removed by the time of this afternoon photo and moved over to the Hudson temporary entrance. For its final hours in service, fares at the Sedgwick entrance were collected in portable fareboxes (basically mobile bus fareboxes), like the one seen on the left. The original agent's booth on the left was removed and donated to the Illinois Railway Museum. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick16.jpg (190k)
The stairs down to the old station house at Sedgwick have been boarded up in this view looking east on the platforms on January 29, 2007 following the opening of the Hudson temporary entrance. Temporary wooden back railings have also been installed down the length of the platforms. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick17.jpg (181k)
The historic Sedgwick station house has been closed and surrounded by construction fencing on January 29, 2007, with signs directing customers to the temporary Hudson Avenue entrance one block west. With the building closed, the historic station house could be renovated and expanded. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick18.jpg (177k)
The Sedgwick platforms are seen looking east on January 29, 2007, the day the entrance temporarily moved from Sedgwick to Hudson. The stairs on the left and right lead down to the temporary station entrance. The CTA employee on the right assisted southbound train operators close their doors by providing confirmation that the doors at the end of the train were clear. The curve in the west end of the platform prevented operators from seeing the end of their trains. Train berthings for 6-car trains were later moved eastward, negating the need for a platforman. Later, a camera and monitor were installed for 8-car trains to assist with their door operation. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick.hudson04.jpg (202k)
The simple wood-frame and plywood-clad Hudson temporary station house is seen looking northeast on January 29, 2007, the day it opened for service. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick.hudson05.jpg (199k)
The interior of the Hudson temporary station house is seen on its first day of service, looking east at the fare controls on January 29, 2007. Although the station house was small and not meant to last long, it provided all of the key amenities needed by customers: turnstiles, farecard vending machines (to the left, out of frame), a Customer Assistant and CA booth (on the left), and key signage. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick19.jpg (213k)
The eastward extensions to the north- and southbound platforms are seen looking east from the inbound platform on February 23, 2007. New steel stringers and joists with wood planks have been set and are ready for new wood decking to be laid on top. The monitor seen under the canopy on the right is connected to a camera at the west end of the platform, allowing the operator to see the doors on the side of the trains beyond a curve. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick20.jpg (167k)
The space formerly occupied by the stairs between the station house and the southbound platform is seen looking up on Match 21, 2007. New decking would fill in this hole within a few months. The cables on the left would also be relocated. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick22.jpg (188k)
The Sedgwick platforms are seen far along in their renovation looking west on July 12, 2007. The entire length of both platforms are sufficient to accommodate 8-car trains by this point, and feature new decking and tactile edging for the entire length, and most of the new steel railings and light poles have been installed. The elevator towers and stair canopies can be seen in the distance. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick24.jpg (189k)
The interior of the expanded Sedgwick station is seen under construction in this view looking through the front doorway from the sidewalk on August 12, 2007. The babe brick walls of the historic station house (which was stripped back to its structural shell) can be seen on the far left and right, while the rear extension to the building is seen in the background. The white glazed tile wall is the rear wall of the new interior. Note that the building has been expanded around a set of existing steel structure columns, which have been integrated into the interior. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick25.jpg (157k)
Sedgwick station is seen under renovation looking southwest on August 12, 2007. The new galvanized steel railings and stairway canopy can be seen at platform level, while the painting of the steel elevated structure can be seen underway. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick26.jpg (171k)
The historic Sedgwick station house is under renovation, looking south on August 12, 2007. The exterior masonry has been stripped of the white paint that used to cover it, while damaged brick and terra cotta is being replaced. The doorway on the side of the building is not original; a window was originally there. Doorways were added on the sides to supplement the original front door during the renovation to provide additional circulation capacity. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick27.jpg (194k)
Sedgwick station is seen under renovation looking north on September 17, 2007. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick28.jpg (156k)
Sedgwick's dual side platforms are nearing the end of their renovation in this September 17, 2007 view looking east as a northbound Brown Line train departs the station. The steel frame of the historic canopies has been stripped and primed, and they are nearly finished being repainted. New lights and electrical conduit have been installed, but the new corrugated metal roofing has yet to be installed. Temporary wood railings covered with orange plastic mesh fencing keep customers away from the work areas near the stairways and elevators. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick29.jpg (175k)
The Sedgwick platforms are seen looking east from the west end of the southbound platform on September 17, 2007 as a Purple Line Express train leaves the station. The new steel railings, windbreaks and light posts are all installed, although the temporary wooden railings have yet to be removed. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick30.jpg (172k)
The restored, historic Sedgwick station house is seen looking northwest on Monday morning, November 12, 2007, hours after reopening to the public following restoration The exterior brick and terra cotta was stripped of white paint and refurbished, with damaged and missing pieces recreated and installed. The woodwork in the doors and windows was re-milled from the original designs. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick32.jpg (167k)
The historic Sedgwick station house, which acts as the entrance to the expanded station, is seen looking south on November 12, 2007. The side doorway is not original; it was added in the renovation in the former location of a window to provide additional circulation capacity. On the right is the tall metal screen in front of the rear expansion of the station house, while the plaza in front features planters and racks for bicycle parking. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick33.jpg (151k)
The interior of the renovated Sedgwick station house is seen on November 12, 2007 looking west from the unpaid area toward the turnstiles and paid area. The delineation between the historic station house interior, which acts as an entrance foyer and unpaid area, and the paid area and rear expansion is clearly shown by the progression from a wood floor to the tile under the turnstiles to the concrete flooring of the expansion. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick34.jpg (141k)
The restored interior of the historic Sedgwick station house is once again a splendorous asset for "L" customers, demonstrated by this view looking southeast on November 12, 2007. The original front doorway is on the left, while the sidedoor on the right was added in the renovation. The varnished oak moldings and wainscoting were replicated from the original woodwork. The CA booth is on the left. The contractors even restored the double-hung windows to functioning condition. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick35.jpg (147k)
The artwork at Sedgwick station, installed as part of the renovation project abed a required part of the FFGA, is located on the back (west) wall of the station house expansion in the paid area. The colorful tile mosaic is seen looking west on November 12, 2007. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick36.jpg (131k)
The new, expanded station interior is seen looking south in the paid area on November 12, 2007. The expansion contrasts with the wood and plaster interior of the historic entrance by featuring concrete floors, metal and ceramic tile enclosures, and a metal suspended ceiling. Note the steel support columns in the middle of the interior: the columns, which support the elevated track structure, were originally behind the station house, but the expansion brought them inside as the interior expanded around them. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick37.jpg (166k)
The renovated, expanded side platforms at Sedgwick are seen looking east on November 12, 2007. Note the new galvanized steel railings -- standard for the renovated Brown Line elevated stations -- with square-cutout grille panels and integrated light standards. The new elevator towers are visible on the outsides of the refurbished historic canopies. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

sedgwick39.jpg (157k)
The renovated platforms at Sedgwick include new, larger multi-line A/V signs suspended over the platform on long mast-arm poles cantilevered from the light standards, windbreaks integrated into the new railing system, and benches that double as sandboxes. Looking west on the morning of November 12, 2007, the day the main entrance reopened, note the pile of berthing markers leaning against the platform on the left. With the main entrance reopened and the elevators in use, the berthing locations of the trains were adjusted accordingly to make the boarding and alighting locations as convenient as possible in relation to the street access point. (Photo by Graham Garfield)

 

Notes:

1. Bach and Wolfson, A Guide to Chicago's Train Stations, 222.