.

Kostner (4400W/300N)
Kosnter Avenue and Lake Street, West Garfield Park

Service Notes:

Lake Street Division

Quick Facts:

Address: TBD
Established: March 1894
Original Line: Lake Street Elevated Railroad
Previous Names: none
Skip-Stop Type: n/a
Rebuilt: n/a
Status: Demolished

History:

Kosnter Avenue station was built in 1893-94 for the Lake Street Elevated Railroad, designed by its engineering staff and opened when the line was extended from California to Cicero in March 1894.

The station was closed in 1948 when the CTA revamped service on the Lake Street Line -- the first of a series of line-by-line service overhauls -- by closing 10 little-used stations and implementing A/B skip-stop service to speed up trains on the route. The station, along with Morgan, Racine, Damen, Oakley, Campbell, and Sacramento was demolished in early 1949. Prior to the start of wrecking work, all usable equipment, such as newer lumber, doors, and newer railings were removed for reuse elsewhere. Platform girders from the dismantled stations were reused to lengthen platforms at other "L" stations.

 

This Chicago-L.org article is a stub. It will be expanded in the future as resources allow.